What's new

Can non-registered cell phones dial 911? (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
My new (used) car came with a carphone built into the armrest. I was told it is the old analog variety and therefore I have no intention of paying for service for it. Before I get rid of it, I was wondering if it is true that all cell phones can dial 911, even if not hooked up to a calling plan. If so, it may be worth it to keep in case of emergency (though I usually carry my "real" cell phone anyway).

KyleS

Screenwriter
It can call but I believe it will kick you to the local Cellular carrier first and then they can transfer you.

Has anyone actually had to call 911 from a Cell phone that wasnt connected to a service?

KyleS

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
When I try to dial a # on my old cell phone, it says to press 1 for 911, or to hang up and dial 911 if it's an emergency. One or the other, I don't remember... but yeah, you can definitly call if needed. That's why charities ask to donate them to the elderly and disabled.

--
H

Shane Bos

Second Unit
that's why in Canada we have to pay 25cents every month on all telephones landline or cellular. To pay for the 911 service.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, they all should be able to dial 911 (if you can get service).

When cell phone companies come into a town looking to put up more and more unsightly towers, 911 coverage is the main excuse..err... I mean selling point used to defend their tower placement.

J

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
that's why in Canada we have to pay 25cents every month on all telephones landline or cellular. To pay for the 911 service.
here it's 50 cents, presumably to pay for e911, where the 911 center can figure out where a mobile user us calling from using a yet to be implemented technology. the money is collected and since the state hasn't got the e911 up and running, the MILLIONS of $'s get turned over to the General Fund to pay for whatever they want.:angry:

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
If the government makes millions off of charging $0.50 on cell phone bills how much are they making by hundreds out of my paycheck every week?

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
Seriously, Here's to everyone NEVER having to dial that number.
i've called 911 more times than i can remember. fortunately, never for an emergency, i work for a cellular company and have to call 911 when i turn up a new cell site to make sure that it gets routed to the right 911 call center.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
You can also make calls on that phone, as long as you have a credit card. My boss has an old analog phone in his car, and he can use it, if he gives the operator on the line his credit card number for the cost of the call.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I've had to dial it plenty of times. Usually to report a drunk driver or an accident. Only a couple of times have I needed it to summon help for myself. Once when some asshole ran me off the road (totaled my car) and then drove away, and once when my neighbor's drunk friends tried to force their way into my house thinking it was his (and I had no idea who they were, just some random people in the middle of the night trying to get in). Cops came FAST on that call. Somewhere between 30 and 60 seconds. Made me appreciate my local police department quite a bit.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I've had to call it once. I was sitting at a red light and a car flew past me on the right going through the red light at about 55mph slamming into a car in the intersection. Scariest thing I've seen and it was just feet away from me.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Before I get rid of it, I was wondering if it is true that all cell phones can dial 911, even if not hooked up to a calling plan.
According to my cell phone bill it costs me $1.35 per month -- $1.00 to the county and $0.35 federal -- so that you can.

LewB

Screenwriter
Here in N.Y. they collect the 'fee' to pay for the e-911 call locating system. There is only one problem, we don't have it yet. Seems that the money winds up in other places (go figure).
There was a tragic case recently in the Bronx. 4 young men took a VERY small boat out in the waters off City Island at night (part of me believes Darwin was at work here). They got into trouble and used a cell phone to call 911. Not only wasn't there a system to locate where the call came from, but the operator 'mishandled' the call based on the reports and no emergency personnel were sent out to look for them. This was in January of this year. All they found in January was the boat. They eventually found the young men in the spring as their bodies came to the surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks