Can no longer place center(s) on top?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by John S, Nov 19, 2003.

1. John S

John S Producer

With my new HDTV, I do not think I am going to be able to set my center channel speakers on top of the set anymore.

I am looking for suggestions on placement.

Perhaps on the sides pointed in quite a bit??

Thanks in advance,
    John S.

2. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

Perhaps on a stand directly in front of the unit or wall-mounted right behind it? Or perhaps obtain a single center channel speaker that will fit and do the job.

I doubt you'd get very cohesive sound doing what you're proposing.

3. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Go the stand route. Build the stand so that the top of the center channel speaker is right under the bottom edge of the TV screen.

Besides directly "behind" the screen, right under it is arguably the second-best placement option. Not necessarily the most aesthetically pleasing, but who cares about that? The SOUND is what matters. [​IMG]

4. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I tried moving my center from on top of my RPTV to down in front of it and wrote about it here.

DJ

5. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    That's pretty interesting, David. I may , WILL try that myself.

My current TV is in an entertainment center; the center channel sits on top of the entertainment center, angled down towards the listening position.

The "onscreen" placement is decent, but the soundstage leaves a lot to be desired as the sound pans L/C/R.

6. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

As I've played more material on it the last few days, I have noticed better panning across the front soundstage. I never really thought about it before, but having the driver flush with the screen, as it is on top, does make the TV one big baffle as Lewis mentioned in the other thread.

Considering speaker designers now look to make the baffle as small as possible for the least amount of defraction, adding the surface area of a 55" TV can only have a deleterious effect.

It's funny how we sometimes take certain things for granted in our systems. I'm glad I decided to give it a try, because even though I was happy with my system before, this change has made it sound even better. Now it's on to some other things I already considered "taken care of."

DJ

7. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Here is an option if you have a wall behind your TV to set it up on. I do it for my center and it works great.

[​IMG]

Kevin

8. John S

John S Producer

I will once again have to experiement.....

I use two JBL 2-38's in parllel for my center, so the side thing does not seem to bad to me, as with one on each side it would sure be "center'd".

Your are correct, a more real center may actually still fit on top the set and I may have to explore that as well.

All my components reside above the TV on shelving, I had plenty of room on the verticle with the 48" 4:3, but the 60" 4:3 I think is going to very nearly hit the shelving all on its own.

Thanks for the responses as always....

9. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Stunt Coordinator

Depending on the new distance from your center to you seating area(if you decide to put it in front of the TV) you may or may not want to change the delay of your center to match the mains. Good Luck [​IMG]

10. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Kevin, do you have a link to that bracket? That is just what I was looking for and may be something I need to look into in the near future.

11. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor