What's new

can my speakers handle a new receiver? (1 Viewer)

Mark Sosik

Auditioning
I need to replace my old Sony STRDA555ES receiver. Most new receivers I am looking at operate at 8ohms. I have Vienna Acoustic Bach (4ohms) for fronts, Haydn (4ohms) for rear, and Theatro (6ohms) center speakers. The specs of the front speakers are as follows: Am I going to have an issue with the 4ohms difference in my front and rear speakers?
  • 7” Mid-Woofer
    1“ Dome-Tweeter
    4 Ohms
    35 - 20000 Hz
    90 dB
    50 - 300 Watts
    X3P Cone, Transparent
    Hand-coated VA Silk Dome
    TBR – system (Twin-Balanced-Reflex)
    Impulse Optimizing QB 3
    (Quasi-Butterworth)
    MKP Capacitors 1% Tolerance
    Coils 0,7% tol., Air Coils Only
    Metal Film Resistors, 1% tol., Inductance Free
    6 dB and 12 dB Bessel
    80 Ibs
Any suggestions on a receiver that might be able to switch to 4ohms?
Thanks!
Mark

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You'll definitely need a receiver that's 4ohm certified, or get one with pre-outs, and get an external amp. Cheaper to get a 4ohm certified receiver.

The Onkyo TX-NR807 or higher is 4ohm certified. You have the option of setting it to 4ohms, when doing the initial setup. You can see all their receivers here: http://www.us.onkyo.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Receiver. Click on the receiver you want to look at, and then click on the "Features" tab, to see 4ohm compatibility, and other features you may be looking for.

Some will suggest buying a pre/pro setup in your case. Very nice, if you can afford them. My front three speakers are 4ohm, and my other four are 8ohm. My Onkyo 805 drives them all very well, by itself. The external amp is also a good idea, if you can afford it.
Good luck!

Mark Sosik

Auditioning
Thanks for the feedback. Do you know of any Denon or Pioneer model that is also certified 4 ohms performance? The history of Onkyo running hot worries me since there is not much room between shelves and it would be in a glass enclosed case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks