Can my RPTV be retrofitted for DVI?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MikeHU, Oct 24, 2004.

1. MikeHU

MikeHU Stunt Coordinator

Bought my Mits. 55" RPTV 2 yrs ago (fall '02). Mits then had a "guarantee" or "promise" of "future upgradability" due to any technology changes. This was 1 addt'l factor in why I bought the Mits. I have several component hookups on it, but no DVI or HDMI. I have e-mailed them 3 times to ask w/n my set WS-55511 can by "upgraded" to support a DVI connection. I have not received any response at all. I think they are ducking me on their promise. I went back to the seller (HH Gregg), and they simply don't know and gave me a 1- 800 # that is supported by a computer.

Anyone have any similar experience? Anyone know whether DVI can be retrofitted in my situation? Am I just sol - and need to buy a new set like everyone else? I'm happy with my PQ, but still wonder whether I'll be missing anything connecting my 2910 with component rather than DVI.[​IMG] Thanks.

2. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

The last I heard (and I honestly haven't paid much attention lately) was that they were committed to Firewire (IEEE1394) as their input of choice. Some of their new models show HDMI or a rare DVI input available but their upgrade promise was more for integrating an HDTV tuner into sets that didn't come with one rather than offering more inputs. At $1000 the upgrade hardly qualifies as "affordable" in my book anyway.

Hopefully someone with more up to date knowledge will come forth since I no longer service Mitsubishi TVs.

3. MikeHU

MikeHU Stunt Coordinator

Steve, Thanks for your response. Yes, you are right, I have several fire wire connections - just nothing that operates on it. I already have a built-in HD tuner, so I guess I'm probably just out of luck if looking for DVI. I didn't know that they were not as heavy into the DVI format. Guess it's better to be satisfied with what you have, rather than thinking about what you don't.
    [​IMG]