What's new

Can my region free player really play all DVDs? (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I just got a DVD player with 'Region Free' capability. From what I understand, this means that I can play any DVD from any country. Soon, I have some relatives coming in from France. I suggested that they bring some DVDs for the kids. My wife is questioning my assertion that they will work on my OPPO DVD player. She is talking about SECAM. I, on the other hand, was talking about digital data. So, will the DVDs from France play on my region free player? (First, I have to enther the code for the region free option.)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Does the player have a PAL>NTSC, and vice-versa, converter on board? Or, does your display device accept either? ...or just NTSC?

I have a region-free player with converter and I have played a French DVD, Quest For Fire on it and displayed it on my NTSC RP set, no problemo. I think PAL and SECAM are the same as far as DVD's are concerned. I think they only differ a bit as far as broadcast signals go...?

Ronn.W

Second Unit
Your Oppo will have no problems playing those discs. I have one, I haven't found a disc it won't play. If you haven't upgraded to the June 26 firmware yet, do so now. It gives you better conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks