What's new

Can my receiver power this sub (1 Viewer)

Robertto

Stunt Coordinator
Thinking of a SVS 25-31 Cyl series and was not sure if my receiver (Denon 1801 70wpc) would be able to power this sub. Or am I way off base because it looks like the powered version comes w/a 320w BASH amp.

And could you make any recos on a smaller sub that handles the lows well. I live in a apt so extremely high volume is not a huge issue. I am running Axiom M22s and a VP150 as the remainder of my system.

Running a Sony Wamb40(think that the model #) and it is not doing the job. Was great as a hold me over but now I am much more critical of the sub.

Also want to keep it under $400 is that possible?

Thanks!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
It may be able to but I am weary of using my receiver to power anything like this. I would be more likely to get a dedicated amp to power a passive sub like that in order to minimize the strain on my receiver.

Robertto

Stunt Coordinator
Definately a thought in my head. Always had powered subs so I thought it would be good to ask since I really don't want to fry my amp or under deliver to my other speakers.

Thanks!

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't ask the Denon to power the sub and the fronts an the same amp channel. Not only are you putting a lot of stress on the amps, but the sub will end up so underpowered that it will sound bad.
You can use an old receiver if you have one laying around and dedicate the amp insided that to power the sub. It probably is not the best quality amp, but it would do the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks