Can my Receiver handle this......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Binh Vu, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Binh Vu

Binh Vu Stunt Coordinator

My DVD player and CD player don't have power ON/OFF on the remote controls. It really bothers me because everytimes I have to get my ass to the system to turn ON/OFF.
    So, can I plug the power of both players into the power outlets in the back of my Receiver??? If yes, will it hurt my Receiver or DVD, CD player???

Thanks for any reply

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

yes, you can use those receiver outlets. Some models come with two Switched (they power up when the amp is turned on) and some have one ALWAYS ON outlet which is good for a VCR that needs idle power for its internal clock.
    My Yamaha receiver's two outlets are rated for a max of 80watts; your receiver manual will tell you on the specifications page.
    A DVD player and a CD player typically consume 14 or 15 watts each, well within the spec range.
    It wud be BEST if the receiver is plugged into a surge protector for this chain of components.
    bill

3. Todd Schnell

Todd Schnell Second Unit

Binh,

I had a bad experience doing this with a previous DPL receiver.
    This is going some time back, but the plug from I think it was my cd player partially pulled out & dust hit the plug causing the receiver to short out.
    I have refrained from doing this since.

Todd