Can my receiver damage my speakers?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Joe Maiurro, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Joe Maiurro

Joe Maiurro Stunt Coordinator

Is it possible for my receiver to damage my speakers if the receiver isn't that good? I have a Pioneer VSX-D509S powering my Cerwin speakers (CERW V12F, CERW V5M,CERW V5C, NO sub). Am i ok?

Thanks

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    A higher grade receiver would be less likley to damage the speakers if you were really cranking the volume but assuming all of the equipment is working properly the Pioneer will have no problem powering your speakers.

3. Charlie C

Charlie C Stunt Coordinator

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

most people actually damage a speaker by blowing out the tweeter - NOT the woofer. this is caused by a receiver being pushed harder then it's designed to. this causes a clipped signal to be sent to your speaker, usually resulting in a blown tweeter.

if you truly blow out your woofer, then you *over* powered your speakers. that' something you should brag about! [​IMG]

ps, it looks like you have some good questions. have you read the faq primer yet (link at top of forum)? lots of good info in there.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Woofers are a lot harder to damage, but the damage can occur the same way it would to a tweeter - burn the voice coil due to distortion. Tweeters just tend to blow first because their voice coils are muich smaller.