Can my Pioneer Elite VSX-39TX drive the Paradigm Reference Studio 100s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Brodin, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Dan Brodin

Dan Brodin Stunt Coordinator

I just completed my purchases of the Studio ADPs and the Studio CC which I am running on my Pioneer Elite VSX-39TX receiver. These speakers run flawlessly on my receiver even at very high levels. I am now right on the verge of purchasing the Studio 100s which I audioned yesterday and absolutely fell in love with. The dealer was demoing(sp) them on a Sunfire Theater Grand II Preamp and driving them with a Sunfire Cinema Grand Series II amp that does 220 x 5. The room I auditioned them in is very close to my home setup 12ft x 12ft x 8ft. I never had the volume at more than -28 on the sunfire. They sounded incredible. Although I am sure some of that came from the quality preamp/amp combo.

My question is will my Pioneer receiver be adequate in driving the 100s. My pioneer does 120 x 5 into 6ohms. Now my usual listening level tends to be (-12 thru -9) on my (-70 thru +70) dial where Pioneer says 0 very close to reference. Now correct me if I am wrong, but since in theory I am only pushing my receiver to less than what it is capable of on the volume dial and considering the size of my room isn't massive shouldn't my receiver be enough to drive the 100s at the volume I usually listen at? I should also note that I plan on getting an SVS 16-46CS+ with the Sampson S1000 amp in the near future. I will primarily be using the SVS for all the low frequencies below 80hz except when listening to CDs.

I asked my dealer this very question, and while he said he doesn't consider Pioneer receiver to be the best amps he thinks that it will work just assuming I am not listening at extreme volume levels. That satisfied me at the moment, but I need reassurance from the wise men of HTF. Please let me know what you think. Will the pioneer be sufficient or should I really invest in at least a decent 2 channel amp that can do 200-300 watts? Will having all lfe below 80hz going to the SVS lessen the load on the Pioneer enough to drive the high/midrange drivers at the aforementioned levels?

Thanks for reading my ramblings guys, I really value your opinions and look forward to reading what you all have to say.

Thanks,

-Dan

2. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

I have the Pioneer VSX36TX, it's rated at 100 watts @ 8 ohms x 5. Do ya think Pioneer Changes the ohm rating to make the receiver look better?

But anyway I am running a set of Infinity SM155's for my fronts and the Pioneer did an OK job of it. The infinity's have a very high sensitivity rating, about 94 db. But to be truthful, I have kept and still use my Carver TFM35 to power these. The Carver sounds MUCH better. Then on the other hand, I don't think many (if any) AV receiver can compete with a good set of seperates as far as the amps go.

I do have a 16-46csPlus and the system sounds great. For my vote, use the pioneer to start and add amps as you can afford them.

Ted

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

The Paradigm Studio 100's are not a particularly easy load to drive. Impedance hovers around 4 ohms in the upper bass range. They are also not an easy load for much more technical reasons that I would rather not go into.

The 100's won't sound terrible with your receiver, especially in 2 channel mode where the extra channels will boost the 2 active channels.

To get the most of the 100's a very stable 200 watt per channel amp is the way to go.

4. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

"To get the most of the 100's a very stable 200 watt per channel amp is the way to go."

Based on my numerous auditions of the Studio/100s, I would have to agree with this assessment. They really do blossom with more power. The Studio/100s with the Sunfire Cinema Grand (200W @8ohms, 400W @4ohms) and the Marantz MA-700s (200W @8ohms, 300W @4ohms) were particularly good combinations.

Michael