Can my PC become my HD PVR?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Rolando, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Hi guys

Got a friend who watches TV from his PC (media center) and has his set top cable box going through his PC first (S-Video input) and then from PC to TV. He tells me how he loves it because he can also record to his PC like a PVR.

Well I have HD through my HD cable box so is there a tuner or video card and software that will allow me to have an HD PVR?

the only way I would want to record something to watch later is if I can watch it in the same quality as when it broadcast.

2. Harris_C

Harris_C Stunt Coordinator

Rolando,

With a Digital Media Server you can only record OTA(Over the air) HDTV transmissions, not via a set-top box(yet!!)So, you can have a HD PVR but you need a special HDTV PCI card and the software that allows you do that(i.e Windows Media Center 2005)

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

4. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

IF your box has a firewire output then there may be some hacks that will allow you to record the stream but I don't remember exactly where I read it since I didn't have a use for it. I have a MyHD MDP-130 but the only clear QAM channel I have is Universal HD, but that does get me Battlestar Galactica and Century City in HD, along with a few movies.

5. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Wow,

I must really be lost, I have no idea what an MyHD 130 is. followed the link and still not clear. is it a video card?

will it allow me to send my audio and video signal to it so my PC can record a program in HD?

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Yea here's a better link:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...deo/mdp130.asp

It has a hardware mpeg-2 decoder so if your CPU is slow you may want this card. The other alternative is the Fusion HD5 (also found on that site). It's mpeg-2 decoder is software based so it's much cheeaper, but your CPU has to be up to speed.

7. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

wait a tic... according to what I read I can only get over the air HD though...

No OTA HD in Montreal, I am hoping for something I can send my componenet or DVI out to and record. My cable STB has component or DVI for HD and all I want is to record and view later at the same quality and resolution both picture AND sound (5.1 sometimes).

Can this or anything else do so?

8. Harris_C

Rolando,

Here is a quote from the KB TGB.

9. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Grrr,

thanks Harris_C. hard to believe that in this day and age I cannot record the programming for later view without a $800 PVR.

My box has component out and DVI out will nothing record this?

10. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    No, and you never will, because the content industry made sure of that. Even with DVI you will only be able to view it - due to HDCP, an additional protocol - on certain display devices that can understand it, i.e. you will not find ANY recording device for DVI, let alone HDMI or whatever else comes after it.

The next version of Windows (codename: longhorn) will have even more security features built-in to make sure that the content providers are happy, and that you can't do anything with it that you haven't explicitely paid for.

-Christian

11. Harris_C

Rolando,

At the moment, I do not know of a pratical solution that will allow you to record HD to your PC from a STB via any conector. Right now, you are left with the OTA(over-the-air) HD channels using a HDTV tuner card in your PC. Which I might add comes across great if set up properly, but the number of channels are severly limited( ABC,PBS, CBS etc.)

~Harris Coltrain

12. Shimon

Shimon Auditioning

Allow me to put my 2 cents in. Another very fine ATSC - FTA tuner card is the VBox DTA-151. Before anyone asks, yes I work for VBox and yes I am very partial (I get paid to be [​IMG] ). The reviews that we have received all like the card. The only complaints we have received is that it is hard to find and too pricey. I am working on both these problems. There is also a USB version which works the same. It is USB powered (no power cord). If you have any questions about the cards I would be glad to answer them anytime.

Shimon Hirschhorn
    VBox Communications
    shimon_h@vboxcomm.com

13. Matt Wright

Matt Wright Stunt Coordinator

Awsome to hear Shimon. The USB one would be very cool.