What's new

Can my 42" Daewoo Plasma Monitor display an HDTV signal? (1 Viewer)

Brian Kern

Auditioning
I know I won't get HDTV image quality, but it's gotta be better than the crap I'm getting through the standard digital cable box and the a/v connections. Comcast has this to say:

"Comcast only provides HDTV converters to customers who
have an HDTV. Your picture quality will not improve with an HDTV converter, however we do have an updated Digital converter that has S-Video and and optical digital 5.1 outputs. This is an L series converter, and can be picked up at your local payment center."

Is the L series converter really my best option? Or should I insist on the HDTV converter?

Thanks,
Brian

Leo_P

Second Unit
I'm almost positive the Daewoo 42"er's are EDTV's (480p) and not "true" HDTV's capable of displaying 720p or 1080i, natively.
What you need to find out is if: A) your plasma will down-convert 1080i and 720p to 480p or B) will the HD cable box from Comcast down-convert HD to 480p.
I'm pretty sure you can get HD on your plasma, we just need to figure out how.;)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Brian,

This all depends on which make and model cable box Comcast is using in your area. If you can determine this then maybe post another thread here or at AVS forum (they have a more comprehensive HD section over there).

I think Comcast is using the Motorola 5100 box now, and I did a bit of research on it as Comcast is starting HD here in Fresno next month. The 5100 can be configured in it's setup menu to output 480p via it's component outputs, so if your plasma will accept and display 480p and Comcast in your area is using the Motorola 5100 box you'll be good to go.

I take it DirecTv and local OTA reception via antenna is not an option in your situation?

Comcast in Fresno is only going to offer one of the 2 local HD stations, as well as HBO and Showtime HD.

I can receive all the available digital ota stations (2hd and 7sd) as well as 6 off DirecTV--ESPNHD, Discovery HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, Showtime HD, and HBO HD, as well as one HD PPV channel. Many of the current generation DirecTv HD capable receivers can also be configured to output everything in 480p via component, and a couple of them also have the same capability via DVI ports.

The Motorola is supposed to be available with DVI and firewire but it's "optional" which means the cable company has to order them that way.

Brian Kern

Auditioning
Thanks guys. Sadly, I have no line of sight for DirecTV. I'd even ordered and had the dish delivered and had an installation appointment before learning it wasn't an option.

However, I've confirmed that my plasma will down-convert the 1080i signal to 480p, now I just have to get Tivo to get on board with the HD. For now I upgraded to the L series converters which output S-video to the Tivo which in turn output S-video to the plasma. Big improvement, but I'd sure like to see the 480p through a component video connection. Oh well. Some day.

:)
BK

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks