Can music speakers do decent surround and vice versa?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Steve Carlo, May 7, 2003.

1. Steve Carlo

Steve Carlo Stunt Coordinator

I've heard awesome HT sound from almost all speakers I have listened to, but make those speakers do music and they fall flat on their face. Am I asking too much to expect a set which can do both? I would like to include my Energy XL's in the set up if I can as their music is great, but I've no idea how they will rate for surround. I could swing a trip to our nearest Energy dealer, but it being 125 miles away I would like to know that it is likely I will find a good match!

Any thoughts about Brands or specific speaker combos? Budget is up to 1200.

Thanks

2. StevieP

StevieP Stunt Coordinator

Steve,

Some say that music has much more info than HT, so A music speaker should do well for HT, and that may be true.

It's my belief that movies have a lot of music that must also sound good!

I know many people have stated that they think Def Techs are great for HT but not as good for music.

But my non-powered BP30 towers are great for both music, and HT!

I guess it's up to you, and what you hear.

3. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Is that $1200 for two front channels speakers only or are you talking about needing to fit 5 speakers in with that budget?

Dynaudio would be a good place to start a search.

4. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

Many people debate the question of musical vs. HT oriented speakers. I feel similar to Stevie. I think that "a good musical speaker will be a good HT speaker. BUT a good HT speaker is not necessarily a good musical speaker."

You may want to check out the Ascend line of speakers. Many people (including myself), reviews feel that for music they cannot be beat in their price range. Look at the reviews and I think you will find that many of them specifically address your concerns about "musical" performance.

It would stretch your budget a little but I would look at the Ascend 23-2001 package.

Of course there are many other good performers out there, depending on your tastes. Aperion Audio, Axiom and Dahlquists seem to be some favorites around here in that price range... but there are many, many others.

Matthew

5. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I have Klipsch RB-3's in the front right now and I LOVE them for music as well, so it depends on the person I guess.

6. Scott Sabin

Scott Sabin Stunt Coordinator

This is a controversial subject, but I too subscribe to the belief that good music speakers will perform well for HT, but the converse is not necessarily true.

Since I have an open basement HT, I'm planning on all Energy towers (6) except for the center, and even that might be able to fit the shortest tower if I could buy a lone speaker.

THX spec says that surround speakers should be di-pole, to provide a more diffuse sound for the surrounds. The Energy Connoisseur series have rear speakers which can be switched between di-pole and direct radiating, I believe. This is a nice feature for those who want to optimize for both music and movies. However, they are just about as costly as the smallest towers, so you won't get 2 pairs for $1200.

7. Steve Carlo

Steve Carlo Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input guys.

My budget distribution will depend on the solution. If I can use my current XL's then the 1200 needs to go for a L&R, center and sub. Depending on if I can match the XL's to a center chanel will depend on whether I put those as front or surrounds. I will check out the Ascend's as well and see if there is a dealer around here.

8. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

If you like the sound of the Energy's then I think it would be worth your time to make the trip to your nearest dealer, and perhaps pack the XL's for the ride. And I think it would be smart to give them a call and schedule an appointment. Getting a sub in that budget could be the difficult part depending on whether you make the XL's fronts or surrounds.

9. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

As always this is my opinion and your ears are all that matter in your purchases...

IMHO, and very strong at that, if you want both music and HT in the same listening area you will get speakers for your music. Placed appropriately they will excel in HT. Further, the same speaker all around will be an extraordinary experience. I learned this from experimentation and I am very sure that (especially for my ears) it is the only way to go for me.

FWIW - I have converted several folks after they have listened to the set up, so at least it also pleases a few others...

10. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Steve Carlo...I sent you a PM! [​IMG]

E