What's new

Can moire (wavy lines) be fixed? (1 Viewer)

Brendan M.

Grip
I recently bought a 32" flatscreen JVC. When viewing it, a moire pattern is very visible in a circle pattern around the screen and it is annoying me greatly. I have been doing some research on fixing this problem and found that it can be resolved by manually 'lessening' the focus on the set (which means cracking it open).

I have come to the conclusion that I can't perform this fix myself. However, I had a best buy service technician out to my home to fix a problem with the set I had previous to this one, and I was not impressed by their ability to diagnose or resolve a problem. Their motto seems to be, 'if there's something wrong that I have no idea how to fix, let's just replace the tv.' Therefore I am hesitant to call them again to address this problem.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with getting a moire problem fixed without having to exchange the set? I don't want to have to go through the hassle of replacing the set again, but what else can I do? Any thoughts would be great.

Mike Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
If the moire is caused by a poor color decoder, defocusing is not going to help in the way that you suspect, it will only result in a rather blurry image.
Is it possible to try the same source with S-VHS or Component inputs?
If it is CATV through the tuner, I would say either live with it, or if you are in the exchange window, try a different model or brand.

Brendan M.

Grip
I haven't tried to compare a single source on more than one input, however I have noticed the problem both on the composite input with digital cable as well as on the component input with my dvd player. The problem was very noticable when running the AVIA calibration disc. I'm past the 30 day exchange period and I want to keep the set because I like it otherwise. Is there anything I can do?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks