Can Loud HT Hurt Pets?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Sch, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

A lot of times I feel guilty for playing stuff loud because it seems like it bothers my cat. Is there any evidence that especially loud sound from our speakers could be hurting our furry little buddies' ears?

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

If it looks like it is bothering your cat, common sense would say it is, research or not.

3. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

My parrots don't seem to care, except during their early morning and late afternoon "rowdy time". That's when they seem to regard it as a challenge to see who can go loudest.

Johnnie the CAG usually wins.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

"Pets," I'm sure, have sensitive ears.

Now, as for cats, yes, definitely. Their hearing is far more sensitive, in fact. So loud noises affect them more sharply.

All cats and pets should be protected from loud noises. What is bad for human animals is most likely bad for nonhuman animals.

5. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

My cats just run away at loud HT noises. Dog doesn't seem to mind.

Funniest cat moment: Cat asleep on floor, started a MGM flick. the 'lion' came on and roared - cat jumped up - looked around frantically, and took off.

Funniest dog moment: running the MCACC on my VSX-49TX. She ran from speaker to speaker during calibration (10 minutes?) It was also really really funny (didn't bark either!)

6. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

My dogs and cats don't SEEM to mind. There never in the room when I'm watching a movie so it doesn't seem to be too much of a problem.

7. Bob Sheen

Bob Sheen Stunt Coordinator

My dog is in love with my left main speaker. She sleeps peacefully right next to it whenever i'm in the basement watching a movie or listening to music full blast. I think that she may actually enjoy the vibrations.

Bob

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Cat isn't usually bothered, but LOTR had a lot of bass and that unnerved her

9. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

Do wives count as pets? If so, yes. It bothers her.

10. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

A lot of dogs become thunderstorm phobic (including 2 of my 4); movies with lots of bass do seem to bother them, as they both try to get under my recliner. As there is barely room for one, getting everyone comfortable becomes a bit of a problem.

11. Andrew_Sch

What I really wanted to know was, can prolonged exposure cause hearing loss in pets easier than it can in humans?

12. Andrew_Sch

Whoops, triple post.

13. Andrew_Sch

Really, a TRIPLE post?! Somebody must be a moron around here.

14. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

My cat just goes into another room while I play the HT. My dog usually hangs around, but won't go near the subwoofer.

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Cats, as opposed to pets, have more hearing to lose in the first place--their frequency response reaches well past 25kHz. Those frequencies would be the first to go if the poor thing is being subjected to excessively loud noises.

Then, too, cats can be mighty selective in their hearing. I once lived with a heartbreakingly gorgeous Turkish Angora. A little experiment I performed proved amusing. She was sleeping in redolent splendor one night in the living room, oblivious to the world. To see if she would notice, I rattled some pots and pans in the kitchen. No response. I wrapped on the windows and doors. No response. Then I pulled a can of her food and put the can opener to it, making the noises of a can opening.

Her eyes were wide open instantly, and she leapt off the sofa within a second after that, running toward me.

Cats are funny, funny people.

16. Andrew_Sch

Jack, I see your point. My cat barely flinched from her spot sprawled out on the floor when the Last Alliance was rumbling around her last night, but if I had gone out into the kitchen and shaken the Pounce bag, she'd have come running.[​IMG]

17. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

I don't know much about cats but I know that a typical dog's hearing often won't last as long as the dog. I don't want to do anything to hasten this process so I keep my dogs out of the room when I play music more loudly than I should. I don't worry about movies because I usually listen about 10 dB below reference.

18. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Casualties from my HT: 1 Goldfish.
    Here lies Goldie. Killed by Robert DeNiro with a Rocket Launcher. [​IMG]