What's new

Can Logic 7 be used with a 6.1 speaker setup with a 5.1 source? (1 Viewer)

PatrickS

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering purchasing a HK 8000. However I only have room for a 6.1 speaker setup. Will Logic 7 work with a six speakers ie: only 1 rear channel when using a 5.1 source?

Thanks,
Patrick

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick,

"Will Logic 7 work with a six speakers ie: only 1 rear channel when using a 5.1 source?"

No, Logic 7 is built for 5 or 7 speakers. If you use only 6 you are loosing a channel of information.

Lexicon (creaters of Logic 7) believes (and there is quite a bit of research to back this up) a single rear center channel is a bad idea. This is because a sound coming from the centerline of your ears behind you can often be misheard as coming from in front of you. This is the exact opposite of what you are trying to achieve.
A single rear center channel is psychoacoustically a dumb idea.

Have two rear speakers well spread apart (the L7 optimum setup) being feed a stereo signal avoids this problem.

Shawn

Shara

Auditioning
I went through the owners Manuel and setup program and it did not have speaker set up for 6.1.
It will work but I will not recommend it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm sure it can be jerry-rigged to work with 6 speakers and a sub, but what's the point? Why spend the money to get Logic7 if you won't be able to use the 7-speaker configuration for which it was designed? Sure, you could use it with 5 speakers, but now that DPL2 is widely available, there's much less advantage in doing so.

M.

PatrickS

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the comments!
That has just confirmed my decision to stick with the HK AVR7000 for now. I've had it for 2+ years and it still sounds great, I can use Logic 7 for stereo sources as I do now (so I really don't need DPLII).
Sure it's not real Logic 7, but I like it.
I guess why mess with a good thing?
If I'm not ready for 7.1, why bother as you all suggest.
As you all know this hobby really lends itself to uprade fever. However for ONCE, I think I'm not going to give in!
Not YET, anyway!
Thanks again,
Patrick:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks