What's new

Can Lights (1 Viewer)

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Quick question.

I'm planning to run 4 can lights in my room with a Lutron remote dimmer. This is to replace a Leviton slider dimmer and one incandescant wall sconce that is putting out nasty light in my room. This will also eliminate the need to use floor lamps, thus freeing floor space, etc etc the benefits are endless... anyhow....

I'm looking through many different types of can lights, and i need four that can take a 65 watt BR-30 type reflector flood (4 3/4" bulbs).

Most of the ones I look through don't tell me the exact bulb type.

Just looking for some model numbers that I can find at my local Home Depot or Lowes. Thanks guys!

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
Geoff,

I believe Halo is Home Depot's primary brand of recessed lighting fixtures. That being said, the HD website shows the following Halo trims which are 65w/BR30 compatible:

5010H - 5 in. Black Baffle Trim
5010W - 5 in. White Baffle Trim
5000P - 5 in. White Open Trim R30

These are only trims...you'll also need the cans. I assume this is a remodel in which case you can use the following:

Halo Model H5RICAT
5 in. Remodel I-C Recess Can Air-Tite
(for new construction you would use the H5ICAT)

For additional information on Halo lighting visit www.cooperlighting.com.

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Chip for the info.

Halo by Cooper Lighting has been what I have looked at, but I was not sure if they accept the bulbs I have a plentiful amount of or not.

This is going to be putting four can lights in a finished room, which mean I need to also purchase a 5" hole saw, some electrical cable, and and extras needed like wire nuts and plastic to cover my furniture, and most importantly my speakers ;)

I looked back at Home Depot's website at the models you mentioned, and they are what I am looking for. Probably tomorrow I'll go purchase them and by the weekend install them. Thanks a bunch.

LewB

Screenwriter
Don't limit yourself to just the 'big box' stores.
Find a lighting supply place in your area. I've gone to a local one here when I had and idea for something and wasn't really sure what was available. The folks there never failed to come up with neat ideas, not to mention spend time talking to me and share tricks of the trade.
I have no problem paying a buck or 2 extra to these folks to make sure they don't become extinct.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Geoff,

You’ve probably noticed in your research that some light cans are smaller and are designed for the BR-30 bulbs, and some cans are larger for the BR-40 bulbs.

There are also cans that come as a kit complete with the trim baffle, and others that sell the baffles separately.

Most of the cans I’ve seen that have separate baffles, you can get baffles for either BR-30 or BR-40 bulbs. The former are longer and tapered to a smaller hole at the top, the latter are less tapered and have a wide hole. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Most of the ones I look through don't tell me the exact bulb type. The cans with the separate baffles should have a sticker inside that shows what lights/wattages it will accommodate.

Also, watch out about that dimmer. Many of these things can cause noise in the sound system. I hope you have your lighting on a separate circuit from your HT equipment, preferably one on the opposite phase.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks