What's new

Can klipsch be beat?? (1 Viewer)

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
The line arrays can definitely play loud, but as others suggested that isn't the primary design goal. If you want a little more info on line arrays, check out the thread on the design of those on my forum:

http://forum.stryke.com/viewtopic.php?t=85

For those wondering about efficiency descrepancy, the reason is that many are measured at 2.83V at 1m. 2.83V is 1W for an 8ohm speaker and 2W for a 4ohm speaker. That means for the 4ohm speaker it will be 3dB louder. 2.83V is still a fairly standard measure of efficiency though.

With regards to high efficiency speakers, I do have something in the works for that also. I really like the Fountek JP-3 ribbon tweeter. It is 95dB 2.83V/1m, being a 6ohm driver. They have a new larger ribbon that is rated at 98dB/1W/1m and is an 8ohm driver. I'm currently searching for a high efficiency midbass driver or drivers to mate with these. Something like the Fostex FE208EZ 8" at 97dB 1W would match up quite well and make for a very high efficiency system.

John

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
many speakers are better at that price. magnepans come to mind... no bass, but for the price of the MMG's, you could spend $1K on a sub still! plus, why rely on your mains for bass in a theatre application? just get a few subs.

why not try PSB, B&W, etc... ive sold klipsch (recently, including the ones you are talking about), and they were my LEAST favorite speaker. the particular ones you are looking at are better, but they still sound very forward and artificial. if you like them, get them, if you dont, dont! its REALLY easy.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
I think there are two things that lead to discussions like this in many cases. First off, someone will go into a store and the salesperson will tell them how great the speaker is. Then they play a few things on and and point out stuff saying "see how good that sounds?" Instantly people fall into the trap and thing "yeah, that really does sound good." If a salesman is good he can convince you that whatever speaker he wants to sell you is the best thing since sliced bread.

The olther thing is that many people make comments like "these klipsch speakers are the best", when they haven't heard any other speakers that could even be considered decent. At Best Buy here they used to sell Advent speakers. Although not the best thing out there, when compared to the Cerwin Vega, JBL, KLH, or whatever else they sell, they really stand out.

John

Jason.Soko

Stunt Coordinator
The olther thing is that many people make comments like "these klipsch speakers are the best", when they haven't heard any other speakers that could even be considered decent. At Best Buy here they used to sell Advent speakers. Although not the best thing out there, when compared to the Cerwin Vega, JBL, KLH, or whatever else they sell, they really stand out.
Precisely.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there one place in this thread I said they were
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, check your thread title.
No, it would have to have read "Klipsch cannot be beaten." Blech...semantics. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
The fact is that YES there are designs that can beat
Klipsch in efficiency.. Are there any commercial designs
that are as "cheap" as Klipsch? none really come to mind
off hand.. I mean I can think of quite a few commercial
designs that will knock the socks off.. But cheap they
are not..

Voice Of the Theaters can be had new from Altec but the
price is something like 4K per cabinet?

:)

KyleGS

Second Unit
I've heard the RF-7's and really like them. However, I do prefer my recently tweaked HE12.1's (ported). You can purchase the kit from acoustic visions for ~400 and a beautifully veneered cabinet for 420. This is quite a bit cheaper, just as efficient, flat to mid 30's (hz), and extremely detailed at all listening levels. I don't want to tell you how loud these get on my Yammie power amp (200wpc). So yes- you can get a better speaker for the money if you look around. But again, the RF-7 IS a nice speaker IMO.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Kyle, That's wonderful... How do the RF-7s sound in comparison?

Aren't there a lot of other people like me who have heard some other truly good speakers and still think the Klipsches are worthwhile?

Robert AG

Stunt Coordinator
>>>Voice Of the Theaters can be had new from Altec but the
price is something like 4K per cabinet?

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Hi Chris,

Both the M&K (150 and 5000 series) and the VMPS Tower IIs we talked about before you got your Klipsch, will compete well with the Klipsch for "overall" good HT sound.

Ear bleeding levels are almost entirely the domain of horns but levels just below hearing damage are quite easily handled by both.

JBL also has the HT series (horns) which are part of their Synthesis Line which are reasonably priced ($1,100 pair list)

All of the above are "slightly" (subjective term) more refined speakers, and might offer you the "Klipsch PLUS" you are looking for.

KyleGS

Second Unit
I like the Klipsch but they sound a little harsh and not quite as smooth as my HE12.1's. The good thing about my HE12.1's is that I can turn a hair on the treble knob and have "Klipsch like" sound if I'm in that mood. However its sometimes hard to get the RF-7's to sound smooth and non-fatiging. I've always been a big fan of Klipsch but always wanted that efficiency and detail wrapped into a smoother more laid back sound. I've found exactly what I was after with the ported HE12.1's and it only cost me ~$480 total; I also got to tweak them exactly how I wanted. But I'm not taking anything away from the RF-7's. I think they are a pretty good deal for the closeout prices offered recently. When paired with warm or neutral sources and amps- they are hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks