What's new

Can klipsch be beat?? (1 Viewer)

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
That in my opinion is for someone who just wants to blast there music.
Well, you've obviously never heard them. I have a pair of bookshelves using the same woofers and MUCH cheaper tweeters which sound very good. David Sanborn sounds amazing through them. As does The Corrs' song "One Night."

Klipsch are good, but they aren't the end all be all for everyone. Oh, and I'd suggest you go listen to a pair of Nexo PS8's. Actually, I completely forgot about Woodworx! Find someone with some of their speakers. You'll be floored. www.worxaudio.com

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I didn't say Klipsch was the best but I do love them and anything I do in the future will probably have some of there speakers in them.

I don't see the point to that many speakers in one enclosure. I mean yeah it's cool and impressive but I just don't see the need for it all.

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Edited out by moderator I'm not expressing a love of ANYTHING. I want something better, I sold my klipsch. So for you Edited out by moderator that can't understand that i'm looking for some advice from people Edited out by moderator....

Chris, I edited out your insults. Consider this a final warning. Cees

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Ahhh...too many Chris's...getting confused...anyway...

I don't see the point to that many speakers in one enclosure.
There are quite a few reasons. The first one that comes to mind for me is the sound rolloff with regards to distance. I'm a little rusty in this but I'll try to be as accurate as I can. Line source speakers (like Brett posted) rolloff at 3db per doubling of distance. Point source and horn loaded speakers roll off at 6db per doubling of distance (somehow I feel that maybe horn loaded speakers weren't as bad about this but still not as good as line arrays). So say you have a speaker that is 99db efficient at one meter and one that is 96db/1m and your listening position is 12ft away. Suddenly that 99db speaker is lagging b/c at 12ft it now "seems" 87db efficient whereas the 96db line array "seems" 90db efficient. I probably didn't explain it as good as possible but if you are interested in the other advatages of line arrays read Jim Griffin's white paper.

Chris Tabor,

Why did you sell your Klipsch? What was it you found lacking in them? Knowing what you didn't like can help people make suggestions to what you might like. Have you considered building your own or is that not an option? And seriously, I'd put WoodWorx and Nexo speakers in my home without complaining. Contact them and see if anyone in your area could give you a demo.

- Dan Hine

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you Dan thats the kind of responses i was hoping for, not "DUUUUUDE BUT DO THEY PLAY LOUDER"(i know it wasn't you). My point of this thread isn't to express the love of a speaker, its to find out what other options are out there that i don't know about. Do either of the brands you mentioned have a website?

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Do either of the brands you mentioned have a website?
Sure!

Nexo

Worx Audio

At first glance you'll think they are pro-sound speakers...and they are. But I've worked with both lines and a good friend of mine used to work at Roadworx (which turned into Worx Audio). They may not be for you. In fact, they may be MORE of what you didn't like about the Klipsch. But IMO they do sound really good and if you want something efficient and dynamic they'd be worth looking into.

And, I forget, but are we looking toward a full blown 5.1 system here or for mostly two channel?

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
what are all of your thoughts on the m&k S-5000 THX ULTRA System? Would I be in aww with these or would it have me wishing I would have kept the klipsch? By the way, I had a 7 channel klipsch setup, rf7 mains rc7 center, rs7 surrounds, and rf3ii's for rears. Although I was pretty impressed with them it left me wanting more.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Robert:

I love those VOTs. I see that they are making them again but at $5,000 a piece they are a bit pricey.

Brett:

If you decide to build those you need to report back here your findings.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Parker,

Ohh I am building them.. Who do you think put the bug up
John's butt to do non dipole LA's :)

I just paid John for the drivers and pre CNC routed baffles
so it should be a couple weeks till I get the 300LBS!!!! of
drivers here! :)

After that I need to get some supplies, some MDF Roundovers
and 3 sheets of 3/4 MDF and see what kind of mess I can
make. I don't think I am going to have these done overnight.

It will probably take me a few months to complete them as I
am busy with work and other projects around the house but
when they are done I am going to try to put up a web page
documenting the build and my final results.

These will be driven off my 20 Watt Class A Push/Pull Tube
Monoblocks Amps (Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-20DT's) and
the low end will be provided for the time being, by my
sealed Stryke AV-12 but in the future I want to go with
dual sealed AV-15's fed off either dual plate amps or
something like a Crown K2? or QSC Pro Amp.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Robert, is the horn in the top right an old Altec because I have one that looks just like it. I think is is an 806 driver with an 811 horn.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
ChrisLazarko

Yes they look "crazy" they are not WAF speakers (thank god
I have no W and don't have to deal with WAF!)

But Line Array's have huge advantages over point source. As
Dan eluded to a Line Array has half the dropoff per doubling
of distance that a point source has. Plus with the uniform
wavelaunch from a Line Array it helps to take the floor and
celing reflections. Also since there are 12 Midranges each
driver has to do 1/12th the amount of work that one midrange
would do in a "typical" point source design. Then there is
also the efficiency.. Line Arrays can be super efficient
exceeding 100Db/1m figures. They generaly are described as
having a very large sound stage and effortless dynamics.

And bass... They can do bass! John's test mules extended
into the 30's with ease.. If you wanted they could dip into
the 20's and be a true full range speaker without any sweat
but I am using mine with a sub.. probably around 70Hz I
will switch over to the AV-12 untill I get my dual sealed
15's done.

But to say they are "crazy" and there is "no need" that
wouldn't be correct at all. Line Arrays are not just a bunch
of speakers stuck in a cabinet to "look impressive" these
designs come straight from the world of pro audio where
filling a concert hall or arena is key.. In the home this
means a super efficient design that will play back the
hardest of dynamic material without strain.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
DUUUUUDE, BUT CAN THEY PLAY LOUDER?
Oh yes they can play louder allright, we are talking reference level / concert level. I to own a pair of Altec Lancing A-7's and they kick major butt but they also are very detailed at lower volumes.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Robert AG

Stunt Coordinator
Robert, is the horn in the top right an old Altec because I have one that looks just like it. I think is is an 806 driver with an 811 horn.
Yes, the horn is Altec Lansing. It is the 511 horn which goes down to 500Hz (the 811 goes down to 800Hz) and I have it mated to an an 802 driver. My center speaker array has the same horn/driver but is flanked by two 12" woofers in bass reflex cabinets.

They are active bi-amped and crossed over at 600Hz. I use an ultra-linear configuration tube amplifier for the 15" Altec A-7 woofers, and a 5 watt single-ended triode amp for the HF horns. Since the HF horns produce 106db with one watt, I never even come close to using all of the mighty five watts :D

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Oh man, now you guys have me dreaming of high efficiency speakers again. It's OK though, because at least I'm not stuck with some "barbie doll" speakers (thanks Saurav). :)

WayneO

Supporting Actor
How about the Pi Speakers Professional Series Folded Horn.
Interesting. So how do these speaker compare sound-wise for home use against the traditional brands(b&w, paradigm,martin-logan,etc.)?

And if they are superior, why aren't they more popular, they seemed priced affordably?

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
They are pretty popular in certain circles (mainly people who are into DIY, and tubes). Check out the forum on their site.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
How about those Polk monsters of just a few years ago, SDA SRT I think it was? They looked a lot like the speaker that Brett is building with 10 or 12 mid drivers, but they were not all stacked vertically though.

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting. So how do these speaker compare sound-wise for home use against the traditional brands(b&w, paradigm,martin-logan,etc.)?

And if they are superior, why aren't they more popular, they seemed priced affordably?
I have a pair of the 3pi theater series. They sound very good, but they DO have a certain forward characteristic to them like the Klipsch do. With rock music and movies this sounds great, but with something like classical it doesnt sound as good.

If you are into DIY stuff, they are a great value. I think the parts for a pair were around 500 dollars. The finished versions are very expensive though, because they are handmade by a cabinetmaker (no cnc here). And since they are very large and heavy they cost a ton to ship.

I would say their main advantage is the rediculous SPL levels you can get out of them. At 2 meters I was measuring over 115dB with music with my spl meter.

They can get to reference levels with less than 10 watts as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks