Can John McTiernan Direct a Good Movie Anymore?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Steve_Knutzen, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

John McTiernan was behind Predator, Die Hard and The Hunt For Red October. Three movies that I'm sure most would agree were pretty damn good. He also directed some lesser films such as Medicine Man, Die Hard With a Vengeance, The 13th Warrior and the remake of The Thomas Crown Affair which were pretty enjoyable for the most part. He's also had his share of BAD movies. The Last Action Hero, almost univerally regarded as a terrible, terrible movie; Rollerball, which I consider to be the worst movie I've ever had to pay full price to see in a theater (I mean was a twenty minute night-vision sequence really necessary); and most recently Basic, a wannabe Rashomon that made little to no sense. Now according to imdb, he's slated to direct Die Hard 4. Can he recapture the magic that was the original Die Hard or even Die Hard With A Vengeance or has he simply lost the ability to make a good action movie?

Thoughts anyone?

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Since Die Hard is familiar territory for him, I think he'll do just fine. There's still the matter of the script, though.

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I sincerely hope that he has taken the recent critical drubbings as a wake-up call. However, I fear he may overcompensate trying to make an 'old school' Die Hard and it won't work.

I remain ever hopeful that he can turn in something good.

After Rollerball, he has little place to go but up.

4. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Well, I thought "Die Hard With a Vengeance" was a sloppy movie, but that had more to do with the script (what was that crap with McClane standing in Harlem with a sandwich board?).

Personally, I think he's lost it like John Carpenter. Once great, now just stuck in a genre he has outgrown.

5. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

I personally think Last Action Hero is his best movie. For my money, it is the best spoof film ever made, and I think some people try and take it seriously when it is not meant to be.

6. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Well, I wouldn't go so far as his best(that would be Die Hard), it really was clearly not meant to be taken seriously. It has a cartoon cat in it, for crying out loud! [​IMG]

7. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

The Last Action Hero was ten years before its time. Had it been released now it would have made a packet. I have high hopes for Die Hard 4. [​IMG]

8. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    That's always very suspicious. Most IQ's are below 105.

Personally, I think it's a very funny movie, and, like (just to mention another film, of a different director) Mars Attacks!, it's highly misjudged by many. Both have, what I would call, a European flavour (and did better at the box-offices in Europe than in the US as well). Once on video and DVD though, they seemed to be rediscovered everywhere.
    But we went through all this several times on this forum already.

OK, Rollerball wasn't too good. Most directors have one or two lesser films. McTiernan, unfortunately, is no exception to that.

Your honor, I rest my case: there's no hard indication or a reason to believe he lost it.

Cees

9. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I wonder if people who say this have actually seen the film within the past 10 years.

I think it is pretty good in a lot of ways, and fails in some others.

While I agree that Rollerball was horrible, I don't know if I can say he's lost it. I haven't seen Basic, so I can't judge it, but "The Thomas Crown Affair" was pretty damn good. The 13th Warrior isn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be, and seems to be a cult film in some circles.

He looks like he has had his ups and downs, just like the average director. He certainly doesn't hit it out of the park every time, but I can't say he's lost it. He isn't up to the level of Carpenter, who can't seem to buy a good movie right now.

Jason

10. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Thomas Crown was great - until the very end (I ignore the happy ending, and end it on the pier).

McTiernan's problem is that he HATES being tagged "genre director". He thinks he should be something better. Problem is, he's NOT something better - he's a very good genre director. He should suck it up and embrace his destiny/talent.