Can it really be true? Blu-Ray at a local store near you?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RickRO, Feb 20, 2006.

1. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Was surfing this morning and ran across this so what do you all think? And of course how soon is soon? And anybody heard about pricing?

2. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    here is when it is supposed to come out and the price:

"Scheduled to hit shelves in early spring (for $999), Samsung’s BD-P1000 will be the first Blu-ray player available to the public and you can find it at Circuit City and circuitcity.com"

You have to click the link in that page that says "Click here to learn more about blu ray" right under where you put your email addy to signup!!

They will also be using HDMI cables as well, they also say that "Both Twentieth Century Fox and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment have an initial slate of Blu-ray DVD releases scheduled for approximately the same time."

I wonder if they NEW Format DVD's will be around the same price as traditional DVD's?? it also states the Blu Ray DVD has 5 times the Storage of Traditional DVD's!!

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Blu Ray and HD DVD aren't the same thing...though I haven't seen what they will be calling the Blu Ray discs yet. The ad showed a BD logo...

Crutchfield also had an ad about the Toshiba HD DVD player (which is available for preorder). Here.

My preference is likely to lean toward Blu Ray, but we'll see how they both do and what gets released on each. Samsung already said they would release a player that could play both formats, so that may be the way to go.

4. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Gerald did not have time to investigate that this morning DOH! Guess I could have answered my own questions. Just excited to see a Blu-Ray player coming to stores and I did not want anyone to scoop me!:b

I think the looks of the player are nice IMO, but that is always a subjective thing. I tend to like the cleaner less buttons showing hidden panel sort of thing but the Samsung to me looks sleeker than the HD-DVD machines that I've seen at Crutchfield.

Just my .02[​IMG]

5. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

*nod*

bestbuy.com has one of the Toshiba HD-DVD models available for pre-order, as well. Ship date shows 03/27/2006. *shrug* It's available for $499.

6. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Which brings me to another question we have 30 dollar DVD players....200 dollar upconvert players soooooo when will we see the 200 HD-DVD - Blu-ray players?

IMO that is what it will take for the general public to "get involved (interested) " in this thing as well as "one" format! Sure there will be a few to get the next best thing, some just don't care, others don't know, and there are those (like me) who will buy a machine when I know who the winner is!

Rick

7. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

I'm in the same boat... I want to know "who the winner is". I don't want to get caught up in the hype and be stuck with an obsolete paper wight of a player in the next couple of years. [​IMG]

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

The winner will be decided by the public i.e. people on this forum, the neighbors down the street, etc, etc.

I'll bet until universal players DOMINATE the market, neither format will really succeed.

9. Teddy TD

Teddy TD Extra

I will see who has more to offer, and most likely wait a while before I go out and purchase one of the two.

10. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Actually I have looked at both HD-DVD and Blu-ray and IMO the edge goes to Blu-Ray. That would be the format that I would purchase if I was going to get one straight out of the gate, but I'm not! [​IMG]

I have seen pictures of several prototype HD-DVD and Blu-ray players and the blu-ray players just "look" nicer. Some of the HD-DVD players look clunky and boxy are you listening toshiba????? I know that looks really don't matter if the box does what it is supposed to do, but it is nice to have a sleek elegant looking piece of equipment in the rack.

Still though until the price comes down and there is a "clear" winner (if that's possible) I'm sittin on the fence!

11. Kelly Payne

Kelly Payne Agent

FYI, I heard this today:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...&refer=culture

"Feb. 28 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp., the world's second-biggest consumer electronics maker, will begin selling movies for its high-definition DVD players on May 23, in line with an earlier announcement to debut the Blu-ray format by summer in the U.S.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. will release eight titles including ``50 First Dates,'' ``The Fifth Element,'' ``Hitch,'' and ``House of Flying Daggers,'' according to a PRNewswire statement. Samsung Electronics Co. will begin selling the first Blu-ray disc player on the same day, the statement said."

So, it looks like the Samsung player is supposed to be out on 5/23. We'll see...

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Wow I haven't been following the whole thing (because I don't care - DVD is fine for me) I can't believe these are both coming to market! Don't these companies learn anything? I predict failure for both formats.