Can IT dept see what Peer to Peer files?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LDfan, Dec 11, 2001.

1. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

We all know that IT folks can track your website history and such but what about peer to peer services like Morpheus or Napster. Can they see what mp3's we are downloading and such?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    If they control the internet access point, then they can pretty much see anything that goes in or out of the internet. However, to what detail they can "easily" see it depends on the structure of the network - if you're using a proxy server, or a NAT firewall, etc.

3. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

The answer is pretty much yes... if they are looking. The university where I work for instance monitors how much each user downloads. People significantly hogging the resources are warned, and then blocked.

4. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Absolutely....

5. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

6. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Fired for downloading mp3s? Damn that's pretty draconian. At least at my company. Even our head directors download mp3s and such. I guess I can just download them, burn them to a cd so they can't be seen on my computer.

Jeff

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

People have been fired for far lesser "offenses"... sending out some jokes with sexual content for instance.

Obviously it depends on the company where they choose to draw the line. It's not that difficult for the IT department to see what you are up to though. Logs of traffic etc can be used to keep track of what people are up to, and so on - even if you store nothing on the hard drive.

If they really want to know, they can always install software that records your activity entirely, up to and including keypresses and mouse clicks. Few users are savvy and paranoid enough to spot stuff like that.

Basically, you should assume that anything you have on your computer or do on your computer can become known to the administrators if they really are interested enough to find out. Whether they care or feel the need to track your actions to such an extent however is something else entirely.