Can it be, has FOX gone bilingual?!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul_Stachniak, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

This sucks, seems everyone is jumping on the French/English bandwagon. I was in my local Blockbuster today, and came upon the 2 Disc Alien discs, and the back sheet had both French and English on 'em. I don't know if this is an isolated incident.

2. ChristianB

ChristianB Stunt Coordinator

Fox continues to provide separate English and bilingual versions.

In the case of the Alien DVDs, because of the digipack style case they made ONE version of each film, not two (too expensive I guess).. The sheet on the back of all of the Alien DVDs is removable - it's stuck on there with dab of glue.

Christian

3. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I was worried about this when I saw that the new X-Men/X2 package was bilingual....I was later relieved to see that X2 on it's own was English only though. Hearing that they did this with their separate Alien releases too does make me rather uneasy. I absolutely despise bilingual covers and go out of my way to avoid purchasing them. I really hope that I won't have to add Fox to that list.

4. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

Phew. That's a relief..... for now. (Dum, Dum, DUM!!!!!)

5. Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz Supporting Actor

But apart from that sheet everything else (booklet, DVDArt, Front Cover) is English-only?

6. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

I think Fox is the only studio doing it right. I too thought that the Alien Box was bilingual, and was going to order from Amzon.com to get an American release, guess I don't need to do that.

I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND that stupid thig Aliiance Atlantis and Universal do, having a couple sided cover, with french and english on both sides. HELLO? Idiots!

7. Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz Supporting Actor

Could someone please answer this question?

8. ChristianB

ChristianB Stunt Coordinator

Yes Sven. Just the removable sleeve on the back.

9. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

canadian dvd of northfork (paramount) has english packaging. i'm assuming it's canadian as it has the canadian video rating on it - and it was purchased on-line from a vendor who supplies canadian.

noticed a few others like this, so perhaps paramount is walking toward the light ...

10. Marc_Savoie

Marc_Savoie Stunt Coordinator

If there is no French audio track on the DVD the packaging might not be bilingual. Could this be the case for the titles you're mentioning (I've yet to find Northfork in stores myself)?

Paramount is definitely not changing policy.

11. Marc_Savoie

Marc_Savoie Stunt Coordinator

double post. ignore

12. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

I don't think so. [​IMG] The titles you have seen with English-only packaging most likely do not have a French audio track.

edit: Marc beat me to it!

13. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

"Every other studio beside Universal Alliance Atlantis and Paramount provide separate English and bilingual packaging."

You forgot to mention Universial and Dreamworks. It's Universal who makes things the most difficult as sometimes they release english covers like for Animal House while others like Scarface have the french covers. They can't seem to decide what they want to do.

-Mike

14. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

yes, no french track (for northfork). i suppose that would explain it.

four feathers doesn't have the canadian home video stamp on the packaging, but does on the disc. it has a french track, but isn't bi-lingual. even more confusing.

maybe paramount isn't walking toward the light then ...

15. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Paramount does this too (Dragonslayer & Popeye)....it's probably because those titles don't have french tracks. In the case of Seabiscuit and American Wedding, you can get the non-bilingual packaging by buying the limited edition sets that they have for these two...(I believe that also goes for Scarface, but I'm not sure as I didn't get the set)- I guess it's too costly for Universal to open up these sets and put the Canadian packaging in......for that I'm thankful.[​IMG]

16. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

Just was considering that Disney is just as bad as Alliance Atalmntis in my opinion. No they don't have bilingual covers, but they do like to slap that ugly and pointless yellow cirlce with "version francais" onto the cover art. WHy they can't use a removable sticker and avoid defacing the package I will never understand.

I am fed up with this stupidity. I now order all movie that are distributed by Alliance in canada from Amazon.com so that I can get the U.S. Versions. The most extreme problem I have had is with the collectors edition of Pulp Fiction. The Alliance version looks the same, but once opened it become clear that the cardboard is very cheap, and worse, the plastic trays are some cheap knockoff that Alliance appears to make themselves to same money. I just recieved my American version from Amazon today, and the hassle was well worth it.

17. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

Alliance really ticks me off too. The problem is that they distribute a lot of titles in Canada. Just the other day I discovered that they will be releasing Lost in Translation in Canada. Now I have to go through the trouble and extra expense and order a US edition.

I also hate the stupid yellow circle Disney puts on their releases. This could easily be a sticker on the outside of the packaging.

It just shows that these companies do not care about the consumer at all!

18. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Just wondering: what's wrong with the AA version of Lost in Translation? It's an American film, so it should be OK from AA...

19. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

Doesn't matter if it is an American film or not. Alliance releases 99% of their titles with French and English packaging. I got a look at Lost in Translation from the Canadian Columbia House and it has French and English on the cover. [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

the main thing that bothers me about bilingual covers is the spine. in most cases, if the french title is against a black background (and i'd guess in 70% of the time it is), i simply use a black marker and cover it up. very hard to tell most of the time.