What's new

Can it be, has FOX gone bilingual?! (1 Viewer)

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
This sucks, seems everyone is jumping on the French/English bandwagon. I was in my local Blockbuster today, and came upon the 2 Disc Alien discs, and the back sheet had both French and English on 'em. I don't know if this is an isolated incident.

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
Fox continues to provide separate English and bilingual versions.

In the case of the Alien DVDs, because of the digipack style case they made ONE version of each film, not two (too expensive I guess).. The sheet on the back of all of the Alien DVDs is removable - it's stuck on there with dab of glue.

Christian

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
I think Fox is the only studio doing it right. I too thought that the Alien Box was bilingual, and was going to order from Amzon.com to get an American release, guess I don't need to do that.

I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND that stupid thig Aliiance Atlantis and Universal do, having a couple sided cover, with french and english on both sides. HELLO? Idiots!

Andy_MT

Second Unit
canadian dvd of northfork (paramount) has english packaging. i'm assuming it's canadian as it has the canadian video rating on it - and it was purchased on-line from a vendor who supplies canadian.

noticed a few others like this, so perhaps paramount is walking toward the light ...

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
If there is no French audio track on the DVD the packaging might not be bilingual. Could this be the case for the titles you're mentioning (I've yet to find Northfork in stores myself)?

Paramount is definitely not changing policy.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

I don't think so. :frowning: The titles you have seen with English-only packaging most likely do not have a French audio track.

edit: Marc beat me to it!

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
"Every other studio beside Universal Alliance Atlantis and Paramount provide separate English and bilingual packaging."

You forgot to mention Universial and Dreamworks. It's Universal who makes things the most difficult as sometimes they release english covers like for Animal House while others like Scarface have the french covers. They can't seem to decide what they want to do.

-Mike

Andy_MT

Second Unit

yes, no french track (for northfork). i suppose that would explain it.

four feathers doesn't have the canadian home video stamp on the packaging, but does on the disc. it has a french track, but isn't bi-lingual. even more confusing.

maybe paramount isn't walking toward the light then ...

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
Just was considering that Disney is just as bad as Alliance Atalmntis in my opinion. No they don't have bilingual covers, but they do like to slap that ugly and pointless yellow cirlce with "version francais" onto the cover art. WHy they can't use a removable sticker and avoid defacing the package I will never understand.

I am fed up with this stupidity. I now order all movie that are distributed by Alliance in canada from Amazon.com so that I can get the U.S. Versions. The most extreme problem I have had is with the collectors edition of Pulp Fiction. The Alliance version looks the same, but once opened it become clear that the cardboard is very cheap, and worse, the plastic trays are some cheap knockoff that Alliance appears to make themselves to same money. I just recieved my American version from Amazon today, and the hassle was well worth it.

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
Alliance really ticks me off too. The problem is that they distribute a lot of titles in Canada. Just the other day I discovered that they will be releasing Lost in Translation in Canada. Now I have to go through the trouble and extra expense and order a US edition.

I also hate the stupid yellow circle Disney puts on their releases. This could easily be a sticker on the outside of the packaging.

It just shows that these companies do not care about the consumer at all!

Greg Madsen

Second Unit

Doesn't matter if it is an American film or not. Alliance releases 99% of their titles with French and English packaging. I got a look at Lost in Translation from the Canadian Columbia House and it has French and English on the cover. :angry: :thumbsdown:

EricW

Senior HTF Member
the main thing that bothers me about bilingual covers is the spine. in most cases, if the french title is against a black background (and i'd guess in 70% of the time it is), i simply use a black marker and cover it up. very hard to tell most of the time.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Oops sorry, I forgot this was an anti-bilingual thread, I had thought it was the anti-AA thread that I had been reading...these two topics cross over a lot when AA comes up.

Since I'm not xenophobic nor do I watch the covers, I don't get bothered by packaging much except when it's functionally a terrible design, or it's poorly done. Likewise when I buy a book, I don't care about the cover, nor does a lousy CD cover ruin the music, but that's just me.

Anyway, for those who want English only, you can usually get the U.S. version of discs quite cheaply (and sometimes cheaper than the Canadian version) if you pre-order from amazon.ca. I pre-order the U.S. version of non-U.S. films that are released in Canada from them, because, as I mentioned in a similar but different current thread, they are almost always screwed up by whoever releases the Canadian version...I can't think of an example in the last couple years when they weren't inferior to the U.S. release in some significant way, in content I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks