Can it be done?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by SteveMarcR, Jul 24, 2003.

1. SteveMarcR

SteveMarcR Extra

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Sony KP-51WS510, along with a Sony progressive scan DVD (DVP-NS725P), and the Samsung SIR-TS160 HDTV DirecTV receiver.

Now, after spending all this money, I wanted to wait just a bit before I ordered new speakers and a receiver. Right now, I have been operating off of my 2 year old Aiwa mini-system (CX-NHMA86), with front, rear, and center speakers.

Now, for the question...
    The Aiwa has 5.1 Dolby Digital analog inputs, but my new equipment only has Dolby Digital Coaxial or Optical outputs. Is there some kind of cable or other setup that would allow me to take the coaxial output and split up the signal into analog inputs for me to plug into the mini-system?

Just as a band-aid fix until I can afford to get a DTS/DD receiver and quality speakers... (any suggestions on an affordable setup for that?)

I would appreciate any assistance. Thanks in advance.

Steve

2. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

The only thing that I could think of that would be able to decode the digital signal to a 5.1 analog signal is one of those old Technics or Sony DD/DTS decoders, like the SH-AC300 or SH-AC500. These can run between $30-150 on the used market, depending on features. If you dont want to spend this much, then you should probably trade in your Sony DVD player and find another comparably priced player that has 5.1 analog outs.

3. Jonathan_E

Jonathan_E Agent

Hi Steve,

To your question, no it can not be done, go out and get a new receiver.

That signal coming through that coax spdif cable is a digital signal that is processed and decoded through a DD/DTS receiver. In order to decode that signal, you need some sort of processor, either your typical receiver or a DD/DTS 5.1 capable pre-amp, which is going to be quite costly.

Maybe if you really can't wait to have surround sound until you get new speakers and a nice receiver, check with any of your friends to see if they have a spare receiver they're not using (I know I have a few friends that have some older spares with digital inputs). Or another possibility could be to go out and get a really cheap low end consumer audio receiver at a pawn shop of some sort for the time being. Obviously, it won't be anything great, but if your current speakers aren't all that great, you don't need to worry about possibly damaging them with low end equipment and it should suffice for now.

Either that, or deal with 2-channel audio for awhile, which really isn't all that bad as long as your two channels have a really wide and open soundstage. If I were you, I would suffer now for awhile and save my money, then get something really nice later.

-Jonathan

4. SteveMarcR

SteveMarcR Extra

Thanks Jonathan,

I know that getting an old receiver (or a low end one) would probably be the best bet. I will inquire with friends about an old receiver. Were you able to read the prior reply from Chung regarding the Technics SH AC300 or 500?

I happen to see one selling for pretty cheap. Would that work? It doesn't seem to be the best bet, but perhaps it could work.

So, as far as a receiver goes, I would just need something with a DD input (either coaxial or optical), I assume. For a low end one, what should I expect to pay for something like that? I should be moving in a year or so to a home (right now I'm in an apartment), so I really want to get something for VERY temporary use.

I'll keep my eyes open! Any more suggestions, and I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
    Steve

5. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Steve,

Check out the Sherwood 6108 A/V receiver at www.outpost.com this is a great entry level receiver and can be had for UNDER $100.00 The downside is it doesn't have all the source switching inputs on it and it only has spring clip connections for the speakers. But so far as sound quality goes it sounds great. I have this receiver set up in my bedroom as a second HT system and I love it. Great buy for the money.

6. Jonathan_E

Jonathan_E Agent

Steve -

When I posted my reply, Chungs response hadn't been posted yet, so I saw it right after I posted. I've never heard of the technics decoders, but I'm pretty new to this market as well (my first system I bought was last year, before then, I never really had money considering I was still in highscool). If it has a coaxial digital or optical input, and has the 5.1 outputs then it should work. I'm not sure if it would do DTS decoding, but if it has digital inputs, you can most likely be guarenteed that it has DD decoding, or at the bare minimum dolby prologic, which may even suit your needs for the time being.

My first receiver was a cheap sony receiver similar to this
    here

It's nothing great, but it could suffice for now (if you're not an extreme audiophile) and you could use it as a separate small system in your bedroom or something once you move. Don't buy anything new though if you are only going to be using it for a year. Go to some pawn shop and see what you can pick up.

-Jonathan