What's new

Can I Use Works Suite 2002 on a New Computer? (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
My 5 year old Dell 4400 came with MS Works Suite 2002. If I were to buy, say, a Dell 9200, that Did Not come with Word etc., is there any reason I could not install it on the 9200?

Thanks

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I don't see why not, assuming it is a 32-bit windows application.

Of course, I also fail to see why in heavens name you would when you can just download OpenOffice 2 and get something that is quite able to go toe-to-toe with Office 2003. :)

The only reason I can see would be to use it to convert old works based documents you may have laying around into RTF or some other more portable format for moving to OpenOffice.

OpenOffice is becoming incredibly polished and useful. Personally I'd rather use that than Office 2003 at this point, even if it wasn't free.

http://www.openoffice.org

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Kimmo

I do have a large number of Word Documents that I would want to transfer to a new machine, and 1 that I looked at didnt come with Word.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
OpenOffice reads word files just fine. In fact, some people have been known to use it to convert from older word formats to something newer... as Microsoft really loves tweaking their file formats and thus preserving the total lack of compatibility with anything else, forcing upgrades on a continuing basis.

I suggest you convert those Word documents to OpenDocument format, that should stand the test of time a lot better.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
openoffice.org doesn't convert everything perfectly, but is very good at most documents. some strange formatting can't be converted. and it is missing some tools that excel has, that i use frequently. but overall, openoffice.org is great. and it supports opendocument formats, which lots of other word processors/office suites support. no longer locked in. i've been slowly converting all my old word/excel stuff into opendocument formats. forget works suite, get openoffice.org and ensure you can actually read your data for years to come.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks