Can I use unshielded speakers by RPTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Chick, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Ben Chick

Ben Chick Agent

I know with direct view TV sets you cannot use unshielded speakers right next to the set or you can get discoloration and screen damage from the magnets. Well I am getting a RPTV and have two 15" woofer tower speaker boxes in my home theater. The speakers are unshielded (with large magnets on the woofers), but did not give me any trouble about 10" away from my current TV (27" Toshiba). Can unshielded speakers be put right next to RPTVs or will they cause the same discoloration that they should next to direct view sets? I don't have a whole lot of room in my setup, so I'm worried the proximity of the speakers to the new set might cause a problem. If I cannot have them closer than 1 foot from the TV on either side, I'm going to be stuck. The setup will not look asthetically pleasing if I have to relocate my 15" boxes.

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I have Energy C6 mains which are unshielded and I couldn't put them within 15" of my old 32" Sony direct view TV. But with my new Panasonic PT-47 RPTV, I can put them up to about 4" from the TV with no discoloration--I don't put them closer for imaging reasons, but I doubt that doing so will generate any magnetic interference...

3. Ben Chick

Ben Chick Agent

Sounds like RPTVs are nearly immune to interference from big magnets on speakers. That is very good to know. My gigantor speaker boxes should be ok right next to the set. I think I can do about 10" on either side and be ok. That is how I have them setup now for my 27" direct view set. I really should match all my speakers, but I am always buying something else first. My entire entertainment system is a mixed-breed. [​IMG]

4. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Manny Elgarresta
    I would not act so quickly. I put a pair of RAdio Shack Minimus 7s on either side of my RPTV and noticed discoloration on the left side of the screen. So beware!