Can I use this type of cable with a powered Sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Robinson, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

http://www.radioshack.com/searchsku.asp?find=42-2480
    it's $10 for 50 feet.
    I need a 40 foot run to get this around a double doorway, and the cheapest "real" sub cable I could get built was $90 (!!?).
    If this is no good, does anyone else have any suggestions about the best way to cheaply get a 40 foot run.
    The only other option I would have would be to run it under a rug, whicvh would be ok, except there is agap of about a foot between both the rug and the rack and te rug and the couch, so it would have to be taped down and ugly.

2. stephen abbot

I suspect from looking at the cable in the picture that this is a parallel twin type cable rather than a shielded cable. Whilst this type of cable is ideal for a low impedance, high level speaker interconnect it is not appropriate for a line level feed to a sub.
    I recommend that you find a RG59 orRG6 cable with RCA connectors at each end, or purhaps with F connectors and a couple of F-RCA adaptors. This would be a more correct shielded type of cable suitable for a line level interconnect.
    Cheers
    Stephen.

3. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

thanks -
    i'm just having trouble finding this. I can find the cables, without connectors. But I can't find any reasonably priced pre-built ones.
    got a link perhaps?

4. Steve T

Steve T Stunt Coordinator

Rob,
    I would not recommend the cable you specified, although it may work. I suggest a cable with good shielding for use with your sub. When I originally placed my sub behind a couch I used a 50' RG6 cable from Radio Shack, and bought a couple of "F" to RCA converter connectors. This would provide you with a good quality subwoofer cable.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fn ame=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F004%5F005%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D1568
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fn ame=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F003%5F001%5F001&product%5Fid=278%2D290
    [Edited last by Steve T on October 08, 2001 at 03:57 PM]

5. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

Steve- Perfect!!!
    though I was this close to ordering a 1000 foot spool of Belden from pasrtsexpress...it was on sale for $37. Know idea how to go about assembling those. It seems like with canare you can just buy the kit and it does the work, but the belden looks a bit more intense, with soldering and stripping.
    I think the radio shack deal you suggested will work. it's also what chris white reccomended via email, but i couldn't find these parts.
    god, this place rules.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I have used the Radio Shack RG6 coax and the "F-to-RCA" adapters. But I just bought some nice crimp-on RCA plugs for coax from Parts Express for about $2.30
    If you like tools, I strongly suggest getting the $17 crimp-frame handle from Parts Express, the RG6 dies and some of the crimp-on RCA plugs.
    Should set you back about $30, but you will have a great tool in your box for all your future CATV coax needs.
    (Then you can buy the nice Canare dies for $60, and some bulk Canare cable and make your own video & audio cables.) [​IMG]
    Good Luck.