Can I use the Test Tones on Fight Club to calibrate Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Bell, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

Can I use these and the SPL meter and calibrate to 75db? Will this be as accurate as the Video Essentials tones? Thanks.

2. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

From what I've read here on the forum (not from personal experiance), it will not be as accurate as you would be if you use V.E. or Avia.

That being said however, it is better to use those than the test tones that your reciever produces.......Wil

3. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

Ooops, double post.

4. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

IMO, yes you can.....look here.
    Vin

5. Jason Bell

Thanks Vin that is exactly what I was looking for. I tried listening to the tones without a meter, gettin one this weekend, and it says on the screen all channels should sound even except the .1 channel because its limited to

6. Harold_C

Harold_C Stunt Coordinator

7. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

8. Jason Bell

I got my SPL meter from Radioshack today. I ran the tones on Fight Club with the volume on my DENON 1802 set to -5. What I found was that my LFE channel was pretty close. These ended up being my final adjustments to the receiver.
    -FL-0 perfect
    -FR +2 ? I guess this is because this speaker is on the side that opens up into my Kitchen. While the other main is more on a corner side.
    -Subwoofer -2 on receiver with sub volume 60%.
    After doing this test I ran my receivers test tones and they seem to be calibrated more towards 70db. Does it really matter what level you calibrate at as long as all speakers are still putting out the same db? I'd almost prefer to calibrate at lower volume those 75 db tones are hard on the ears.[​IMG]
    I've basically got a 2.1 system with M22s as my mains and a JBL PB12 for the SUB. When I play the tones the front sound stage is fine. The phantom center channel comes out right about perfect maybe a little louder(less than 1db). But when it sends the surround signals through the two mains I get a dropp off of like 3 db. Is there someway to correct this or is this just the way the DD decoder chip downsamples the surrounds during a movie?
    I cant wait till I can finish my setup. VP100 for center and probably M3s for surrounds. But after buying the Denon 1802, a pair of M22s, the PB12 and misc cabling connectors my SO is getting pissed.[​IMG] I'm definitely having a good time with home theatre and the improved equipment I got is getting me back into my music again. Thanks for all the help answering a newbies questions.

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

10. Harold_C

Vince:

I have a different theory about why the receiver and Avia measurements come out differently.

I don't really buy the notion that something is wrong with the receiver test tones or their implementations, at least in the latest generation products. The digital signal levels are handled by the chipsets and are specified correctly...both in the chipset documentation and by the fact that they match the Avia. These same chipsets are used in virutally all receivers.

Any variance in preamp voltages from the analog stages would be immaterial since we are calibrating to a final SPL at the listener location. Worst case, this would simply show up as the need to increase or decrease particular channels. My system balanced the same with both sets of calibration test tones at the Pioneer preamp outputs. It also balanced the same using the Pioneer's built-in amplifiers, although, of course, the actual settings were different than they are with the separate amps because of different input sensititivies.

However, I do think there is a difference. I believe that Avia filters their pink noise differently than the Dolby chipset, using a narrower bandwidth. It is quite possible that a difference in frequency response will change the calibration levels, depending on the speakers. I seem to get less meter movement on the Avia test tones, which indicates to me there is less energy exciting room nodes than there was with the recevier test tones. Next time I've got the tripod and SPL meter out, I'll confirm this in a side by side test.

Also, I find the longer tones in a each channel on the Avia makes it easier to use. You can take a good long gander at the meter in each channel.

11. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

12. Harold_C

Vince:

I've been looking at the Cirrus Logic applications guide for their Dolby Digital chipsets, trying to figure out how a receiver manufacturer could screw up the test tones. I have a couple of ideas.

However, before I go any further, could you tell me how your Denon's tones are wrong? With the same reference volume and channel balance settings as your Avia cablibrated system, what levels do you get from the front, center, and surround speakers using the Denon's test tones?

Are the surrounds, by chance, 3dB too loud?

Thanks.

13. Jason Bell

Hi Harold,

My Denon 1802 was off consistently by 5db. After I calibrated with tones from the Fight Club DVD and then ran the receivers tones to see what I would get they came out perfect but they were at 70db. That is just for the mains and sub though.

14. Harold_C

15. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Harold,

Your points are intriguing- and remind me that I haven't really played around with various encoding possibilities enough. Thankfully I have a DD encoder here, so I think I'm going to create some test files and see if I can figure out how exactly the decoder deals with some of these variables.

It's the end of Spring semester for me, so lots of final projects going on- hopefully I'll be able to design some tests during the first week of march.

-Vince

16. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

17. Jason Bell

Thanks Andrew.