What's new

Can I use the Outlaw ICBM this way? (1 Viewer)

Mal P

Stunt Coordinator
Hi there,
My receiver has a fixed crossover of 100hz, and I'm led to believe that this is too high. I was thinking about adding the Outlaw ICBM to handle the bass management. Do you think it will work in the way it's described as follows:
1) My L/R speakers handle bass down to 31hz at -3dB. The center handles 50hz at -3dB and the rears 55hz at -3dB.
2) The speakers will be connected to the receivers speaker-level outputs as per normal.
3) I'll set all speakers to "Large" and the subwoofer to "On".
4) I'll take the 5.1 pre-outputs on my receiver and plug them into the ICBM's 5.1 inputs.
5) On the ICBM, I'll set the L/R crossover to 40hz, the center crossover to 60hz and the rear crossover to 80hz.
6) I'll take the subwoofer output from the ICBM and plug it into my subwoofer, which is dialled to it's maximum crossover level.
Do you think this will work, i.e. adding an external bass management unit? This way, I won't have to upgrade the receiver (instead I can buy a good two channel amp!) and I'll still be able to use the maximum bass capabilities of my speakers.
Thanks,
Mal

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Mal,
There will be a small area of overlap between the speakers and the subwoofer, which might give you an accentuated response because you've effectively doubled the output. This would be the region between the ICBM crossover point and the -3dB point on the main speakers. It's not a huge region, but it is something to be aware of.
Try it and see, you can always return the ICBM if it doesn't work as advertised, and just be out shipping both ways.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

Mal P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks John, I'm hoping that because of the ICBM's 12dB lowpass, I should be ok with setting the bass crossover the way I described... hopefully.
As I live in Australia, returning it will be a problem, I suppose I could use it as an excuse to get a poweramp as well
wink.gif

Sincerely,
Mal

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks