Can I use RG6 for component cables?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Chrisss, May 22, 2003.

1. Chrisss

Chrisss Auditioning

I have a lot of left over quad-shield RG6 from a spool I bought when hooking up the satellite dish. Can I just use this for my component cables? Isn't that basically what good component cables are made of anyway (75 ohm coax w/shielding)?

What if I just crimp some gold RG6 ends on it, then get RG6>RCA adapters for the ends?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Yes! This works fine.

I built a 75 foot component cable out of quad-shield RG6 so I could relocate my DVD player to a wiring closet in another room. Radio Shack didn't have enough RG6 > RCA adapters, so I bought a big pack of colored, regular old solder-on RCA plugs for $6. Soldered the core of the wire to the center and the braid around the edges.

A hack job, for sure, but I can't tell the difference between this cable and my $80.00, 8 foot Monster brand component cable. I compared them side by side, switching back and forth multiple times. Neither my wife nor I could see a thing. I've been using my home-made cable now for nearly a year with zero noticable effects.

Just make sure all three cables are the same length, and you're set.