What's new

Can I use RG6 for component cables? (1 Viewer)

Chrisss

Auditioning
I have a lot of left over quad-shield RG6 from a spool I bought when hooking up the satellite dish. Can I just use this for my component cables? Isn't that basically what good component cables are made of anyway (75 ohm coax w/shielding)?

What if I just crimp some gold RG6 ends on it, then get RG6>RCA adapters for the ends?

Thanks for any advice.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Yes! This works fine.

I built a 75 foot component cable out of quad-shield RG6 so I could relocate my DVD player to a wiring closet in another room. Radio Shack didn't have enough RG6 > RCA adapters, so I bought a big pack of colored, regular old solder-on RCA plugs for $6. Soldered the core of the wire to the center and the braid around the edges.

A hack job, for sure, but I can't tell the difference between this cable and my $80.00, 8 foot Monster brand component cable. I compared them side by side, switching back and forth multiple times. Neither my wife nor I could see a thing. I've been using my home-made cable now for nearly a year with zero noticable effects.

Just make sure all three cables are the same length, and you're set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks