What's new

Can I use Radio Shack double bow-tie outside? (1 Viewer)

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator
I know it's labelled as an indoor antenna, but could I also mount it somewhere outside (like on the outside of my deck)? It's works great inside, but it's only been there one day and the wife is throwing a fit about how ugly it is. I tried hiding it behind the TV, but the reception suffered too much.

If I can mount it outside, how do I connect it to the back of the receiver? I assume I'd just use a run of the regular coax my SAT uses with a female-female attachment on one end to hook the antenna to the coax.

Last time I "just assumed" something, I spent $50 on a transcoder I didn't need, so I figured this time I would just ask.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
As long as it's protected against the elements, just run a long piece of coax from the antenna to your OTA HDTV receiver. Now, it's it's going to rain on, I don't think you want to be using this antenna for outdoor duty.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
The answer is No. The weather is going to take it's toll on it. And the biggest thing of all is, if you do put it outside MAKE SURE IT'S GROUNDED AGAINST LIGHTING STRIKES! You would be better off if you could put it in the attic or somewhere it is under cover & that doesn't mean outside under an eve.

I would look for a cheap outside UHF Bow-Tie antenna there not very expensive. Maybe someone will chime in & tell you where you can get one in your area. Remember lighting is nothing to fool around with.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Some people have been known to attach this to their existing rooftop antenna to enhance reception of High Definition signals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks