What's new

Can I use pine to build a speaker box? (1 Viewer)

Jon Torres

Second Unit
Well, I only need a little bit of wood (20" x 30" x 3/4") to build a speaker box. The other one is built from leftover birch ply (home depot) from my dad's bookcase project. I don't want to buy a 4x8 sheet of anything, so I thought maybe I'll go with quarter sheet of particle board for $5. Also, I saw some pine panels that could work also and for cheap. Either way, I'll probably end up covering it up w/ a laminate. So are pine panels okay?

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Jon,

Particle board is much better than pine for a speaker box. Solid woods in general have cracks, voids, inconsistent density, and are prone to warpage. Pine is particularly bad because of abundant knots and very low density. Your local lumber store will probably cut you a piece of particleboard if you don't need a full sheet.

Better yet, use MDF (medium density fiberboard)... it's denser and smoother than particle board and not much more expensive. MDF is by far the preferred material for speakers.

Jon Torres

Second Unit
I'd love to get MDF, but home depot doesn't sell them in smaller sheets than 4x8, while particle board can be had in half and quarter sheets. I doubt other lumberyards have MDF in smaller sheets as well.

Brandon B

Second Unit
So do the ones in So Cal.

Jon -

Go look back where they have pre-made round MDF table tops and such. They usually have 1/2 and 1/4 sheets of 1/2" MDF there.

BB

Dave Crigna

Stunt Coordinator
And, if for some crazy reson the home depots in san diego differ than the other home depots in so cal, I know orchard supply carries 2 x 4 sheets of mdf. And if you do get a 4 x 8 sheet at home depot you can have them cut it down for you. Last time I checked the first two cuts are free. Also you can look into using the left over mdf and build a flexy rack:D

Jon Torres

Second Unit
That's so weird how all of you say home depot carries 2x4's of mdf. Where the smaller sheets of plywood are at, I saw particle board, birch ply, oak ply, but no mdf. Weird.. I'll try another home depot. Luckily, there are 2 within 5 miles from my house. Thanks for all the help.

Jon Torres

Second Unit
Well, I went to another home depot and same result. I called 3 others and nobody seems to have 2x4 sheets of mdf. I gave up and bought some particle board and already made the cuts. I never knew how much sawdust mdf put out until I cut particle board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks