What's new

Can I use Parasound Parasound HCA-1500A Amp & pl/d 1100 preamp w/AV reciever? (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
What I would want to do is use the preamp & amp for 2-ch music (my CD and tape inputs) but still use my HK AVR7000 receiver hooked up for surround -having the dvd player hooked to to my receiver while still having the HC-15000A driving the front two speakers while the receiver driving the center and rear speakers...not sure if that would all work in conjunction ok?

Kevin T

Screenwriter
if the preamp has a ht bypass or unity gain feature you can. otherwise you'll experience some problems that can be rectified but not easily.

kevin t

BruceD

Screenwriter
Kevin_B,

No problem!! You don't really need an HT bypass. All you need is for the AV receiver to have preamp outs for L&R mains (your HK should be high-end enough to provide this).

I've been doing the same thing for the last 5 years. You can check out my connections in my equipment link below.

Essentially I take the L&R HT processor outputs and route them to a L&R audio input pair on the 1100 (I use the L&R analog audio input pair labeled video). My CD player is connected to the Direct input pair on the 1100.

When I use the system for 2-channel, I never even turn the HT processor on.

The only caveat is that the volume control for the PL/D 1100 preamp may be different for 2-channel and HT listening. It should be set to the 12 o'clock position for HT speaker calibration (essentially runs as unity gain in this position).

For my setup, the PL/D 1100 volume control is used at 9 o'clock for 2-channel music and 12 o'clock for HT.

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
I heard that there is a dead spot in the bass on one review at audio review.com that was aproblem b/c their is no EQ on the unit, is that why you got and EQ for your sub?

BruceD

Screenwriter
I don't believe anything @audioreview anyway.

I'm not sure what you mean by "dead spot in the bass"?

The 1100 preamp is simply clean and doesn't do anything but pass the signal through without adding any grunge.

Here are some 1100D preamp specs, and I don't see any deficiancy in the bass:

5 Hz - 135 kHz, +0/-2 dB, full output
5 Hz - 100 kHz, +0/-2 dB, full output -6 dB

The key to getting a sub properly integrated involves;
1) correct main speaker placement
2) correct sub placement
3) correct xover frequency (mains & sub)
4) correct xover slope (mains & sub)
5) correct sub phase setting
6) Parametric EQ corrections to sub for room-mode peaks

I use a separate stand-alone electronic crossover between my mains and my sub, and a Parametric EQ on the sub only. This Paramtric EQ is used to cut the boomy bass peaks caused by room modes.

This also allows me to use the sub for both HT and 2-channel.

To get all those variables optimized, I use a PC software measurement system.

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
Thanks Bruce,

So i just want to confirm something....The only purpose for me to use the preamp would be to get better sound from music as opposed to using my HK AVR7000 as the pre, but would the signal be going through the receiver AND the processor thereby double processing it and/or making the purpose of the preamp null or maybe actually worsening the signal as opposed to going just through the receiver? Or would it somehow completely bypass the reciver for 2-ch music while the reciver still has the ability to use those 2 speakers for surround? know what I mean?

Also, in the ad it mentioned SACD and DVD-A, does this unit process that?? That part of the ad confused me....

BruceD

Screenwriter
Kevin,

Correct

There are a few ways to set it up.

If you have large main speakers and want to listen to 2-channel music without turning on the HT receiver (just the CD player, 1100D preamp, 1500 amp, and main speakers), then the setup below will work.

HK7200 rcvr
L&R preout ---> 1100D preamp --> 1500 amp --> L&R speakers
rcvr spkr outputs ---> center, surrounds
rcvr sub out ---> powered sub

CD Player
analog L&R output ---> 1100D preamp

DVD Player
digital output ---> HK7200 rcvr

SACD DVD-A player (maybe same unit as DVD player)
analog output (6 cables) ---> HK7200 rcvr

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks