What's new

Can I use my Sony projection TV as a center channel speaker? (1 Viewer)

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
I have a new Sony KP57WS510. Fabulous picture. My question: Can I run an audio line from the center speaker out jack on my amplifier into the L (mono) audio in jack on the TV to use the TV speakers as a center channel for my surround system?

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Although it may certainly be possible, it may not be desirable.

In my exerience, no center is better than a bad center (I've never seen a TV that uses high quality speakers).

I tried this before and the sound was worse using the TV speakers as a center than having no center at all.

JimmyK

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Jimmy. Just a question, Scott. Are you trying the TV as a center channel for budget or convienience reasons? I'm just not clear what the motivations are here.

-Mike

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the no-go on using the TV speakers as your center channel. I think it's important that your center channel is carefully matched to your front speaker to give you a truer representation of the sound field.

On a side note, I just recently got a KP57WS510 as well and can't say enough about the picture quality. I did some service menu tweaking that improved the PQ even more. In my opinion, the 510s provide a lot of bang for the buck. :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Thanks, guys. I think I have my answer. Motivation was both budgetary and convenience, though it was more an idea than a serious plan of action. Just wanted to hear other people's experience with the idea.

I'm blown away by the picture on this model, ChrisYK. It's absolutely gorgeous, and I haven't even done much tweaking with it yet. I will do more when my Avia disk arrives from DDD sometime next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks