Can I use my Sony projection TV as a center channel speaker?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Scott_F_S, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

I have a new Sony KP57WS510. Fabulous picture. My question: Can I run an audio line from the center speaker out jack on my amplifier into the L (mono) audio in jack on the TV to use the TV speakers as a center channel for my surround system?

2. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    Although it may certainly be possible, it may not be desirable.

In my exerience, no center is better than a bad center (I've never seen a TV that uses high quality speakers).

I tried this before and the sound was worse using the TV speakers as a center than having no center at all.

JimmyK

3. Mike_S

Mike_S Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Jimmy. Just a question, Scott. Are you trying the TV as a center channel for budget or convienience reasons? I'm just not clear what the motivations are here.

-Mike

4. ChrisYK

ChrisYK Stunt Coordinator

I agree with the no-go on using the TV speakers as your center channel. I think it's important that your center channel is carefully matched to your front speaker to give you a truer representation of the sound field.

On a side note, I just recently got a KP57WS510 as well and can't say enough about the picture quality. I did some service menu tweaking that improved the PQ even more. In my opinion, the 510s provide a lot of bang for the buck. [​IMG]

5. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

Thanks, guys. I think I have my answer. Motivation was both budgetary and convenience, though it was more an idea than a serious plan of action. Just wanted to hear other people's experience with the idea.

I'm blown away by the picture on this model, ChrisYK. It's absolutely gorgeous, and I haven't even done much tweaking with it yet. I will do more when my Avia disk arrives from DDD sometime next week.