Can I use my receiver like an amp? 6Ch inputs?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

My reciever has no preouts, but it has inputs. It has the 6 Ch inputs. If I wanted to peice together a better system could I get a Krell Preamp and use its outputs into the 6ch inputs on my yamaha RXV-440? Would that work? I know it would sound alright, but it wouldnt have that much power. But would it work?

Either that or I may just return my rxv-440 and see if my boss will let me borrow and amp till I can get the krell.

2. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

If I read this right you are trying to bypass the decoding of the Yamaha, use the Krell as the processor, and use the Yamaha as the power amp. Is this right? I don't understand the advantage of just using the Yam as the amp. If you are planning on adding another seperate amp for the mains and center in the future I see the logic. If not then I don't get it.

3. Jesse Sharrow

Well yes that is my point. I will be getting an amp later on but I cannot afford it right now. Will this work though?

4. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Sorry for barging in...
    I've read this in previous posts, how is this done, and still achieve 5.1 (or 6.1)?

5. John S

John S Producer

You really need what are called power amp in's, the typical 6 channal analog input may work somewhat, but it is not really where you want it. Many AVR's have power amp in's to get to the amps.

6. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

so,if I understand this correctly, the power amp runs the mains and center and the AVR run the surrounds, be they 2 or 3 or 4. And this is all done through the AVR? where does the switching take place?

7. John S

John S Producer

Kevin G.
    He has Krell Pre/Pro.....
    That has pre-outs, and can be routed to separate power amps.

It is not different than using a receiver as a pre/pro, and using external amps.

But like I say, it won't work to well unless your receiver has actual Power Amp in's and not just 6 channel analog inputs. They are different inputs, made for different applications.

8. Jesse Sharrow

Would it work at all though or is it something I should totally get out of my head. Could I damage something?

9. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

I don't think you will damage anything, but that setup isn't going to do the Krell pre/pro any justice at all.

If you can return the Yamaha, why not pick up a receiver along the same price lines that has preouts and get your amp right now and wait on the pre/pro. Atleast this way you would get pretty good processing and good amplification. The other way you are going to get outstanding processing, but it will more than likely all be lost in the amplification stage.

10. John S

John S Producer

No power amp in's huh?? It is becomming a lost feature with AVR's.

The problem here you are going to have two pre-amp stages in the way... Your Krell, and your Yamaha.

When an AVR has power amp in's, the pre-amp stage is completely by-passed.