1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I use my amp to drive 20-39CS+?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony_Kot, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Tony_Kot

Tony_Kot Auditioning

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying 20-39CS+ sub, and use my ATI 1506 amp to drive it. Now, here is my question. 1506 is 6ch amp, rated at 150x6 at 8ohms, and 225x6 at 4ohms. Currently i have 5 chanels connected to my Atlantic Technology speakers, which are 8ohms. I have one chanel available - can I use it to drive the 20-39CS+, even though it's 4ohm speaker? Can amp drive speakers with different impendance ratings at the same time? As far as I know, the 1506 is essentially three 2ch amps in the same chassis.

Is it possible if one chanel of such amp is connected to 8ohm speaker, and another chanel to 4 ohm?

Thanks

2. Barry Barnes

Barry Barnes Stunt Coordinator

You absolutely can. That's what that sixth channel is for! I am currently running a similar setup with my ADA 6 channel Amp. I am very easily driving a 20-39CS with it's 250 watts into four ohms. If in doubt contact the mfr. but having 4 ohm on one channel shouldn't be a problem.

3. Tony_Kot

Tony_Kot Auditioning

Thanks a lot Barry! Now, onto ordering that 20-39CS+ [​IMG]
    Tony

4. Barry Barnes

One side note here. You might want to talk to Tom about the CS+ with 230 watts. He advised me that I would be just as well off to simply get the CS series as the advantages of the CS+ would not be realized unless I had at least 500 watts to drive it. With your power capability you might be better off with the standard CS driver unless you plan to upgrade to more power at a later date.

5. Tony_Kot

Tony_Kot Auditioning

I'm planning to upgrade to Samson or something similar a little later. For right now, I hope my 225W will do. In lab tests, ATI's 150W/ch amps went as high as 200W with no clipping of any sort and very low distortion. They also can be bridged - 150Wx2 bridged is rated on them at 450W. So, I'm sure the one chanel at 4ohms should output close to 300W with no problems. But I think even 225W is more than enough for starters.

6. Tony_Kot

Tony_Kot Auditioning

Thanks a lot Barry! Now, onto ordering that 20-39CS+ [​IMG]
    Tony

7. Barry Barnes

Cool. Sounds like you are "future proof". Enjoy! Great bass is like great sex. You don't know what you're missing until you get some of the really good stuff. [​IMG]