What's new

Can I Use Low Voltage Landscaping wire 14/2 for speakers (1 Viewer)

Sanjay H

Agent
I need to know if i can use low voltage landscaping wire for wiring speakers. I need to use this kind of wire because part of the wire will be run outside the house and needs to be weatherproof.

Joe L.

Stunt Coordinator
It will work very well...

In fact, I'm using it to feed my subwoofers indoors as it is less noticable running across my dark colored carpet than the usual clear colored wire sold for speakers. As you said, it is 14 guage, and way less loss for long runs (likely outdoors) Most important, it is designed to be burried.

Joe L.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I use Carol brand 12/2 for my surrounds and it is just fine.

Bought a 100' hunk at Home Depot for like $20. Nice copper and the strands are a little thicker (supposidly better than the stuff with hundreds of strands).

Reguardless, it is fine.

I use the 12AWG Sound King stuff from Parts Express for my fronts and the Carol stuff in the rear. I have AR banana plugs on all ends (all speakers and the amp and speaker end). Not once have I second guessed this stuff.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
No, not outside - what gave you that idea?

Anyway, the Carol is 12 volt outdoor lighting wire - so I hope I could use it outside!!!

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
I used something similar for a 100-foot run from a NAD C370 amp to JBL N24-AW speakers and PartsExpress-sourced subwoofer. Works fine. Just make sure the copper seems of decent quality and use some sort of sealed connector (I used a type that has silicon putty built in; once you screw it on the twisted wires, it self-seals permanently). Should work fine.

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
One more tip -- I ran 14/4 (four wires) so that all I had to do @ the end was split red & black (which I designated left hot and left negative) and yellow and blue (right hot and right negative).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks