Can I use high quality audio interconnects for component video?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Krangel, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Jon Krangel

Jon Krangel Stunt Coordinator

While I was building my HT, I came across two 6 ft Monster Video 2 composite cable's, and 2 6 ft Monster Interlink 250 audio interconnects (each cable having two actual cables conded for L/R audio). If I put these two cables together using couplers from rat shack, I can make a cable long enough for my component video run. I would use the video cable for Y and the audio interconnect for Pb/Pr. Is this a good idea? I know it works because I have it hooked up right now, but I'd like to know if this will affect the quality of the signal. Right now I am running my interlaced DVD player through them, but I do plan on upgrading to progressive scan soon and may even run a 1080i/720p signal through it.

Thanks!

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The high-frequency video signals want a 75 ohm cable to avoid reflections in the cable.

That audio cable COULD be made with 75 ohm coax - many audio cables are. What effect that barrel connector could have is ... unknown.

My advice would be to hit ebay/wickedcables/catcables .com sites and get a HD capable, unbroken cable.

3. Jon Krangel

Jon Krangel Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Bob. That was what I thought, but I was just trying to see if I could cut a corner here an save a few bucks! It seems damn near impossible to be cheap and have HT as a hobby at the same time........ [​IMG]

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I often push Home Depot speaker wire, AR/Radio Shack interconnects, build-your-own subwoofer cable, etc. While I do believe more expensive/exotic wires DO have an effect, it's a small improvement for lots of $$$.

But the video cable - this is the last place to scrimp/kludge. (Whats more sensitive - your ears or eyes?)

So as soon as your equipment becomes "sensitive", I recommend good video cables.

By "sensitive" I mean any one of:

- Long cable runs > 10 feet

- Display size pushing 40-50 inches

- Running HD/Progressive signals

- Using a HD Ready display that takes the signal and de-interlaces it.

I found a cable on eBay made with Canare plugs and coax, 2 meter (13 feet) for about $90. Hit ebay and search for "Canare". Many people put Canare plugs on Belden coax and this is fine.

Good Luck.