What's new

Can I use high quality audio interconnects for component video? (1 Viewer)

Jon Krangel

Stunt Coordinator
While I was building my HT, I came across two 6 ft Monster Video 2 composite cable's, and 2 6 ft Monster Interlink 250 audio interconnects (each cable having two actual cables conded for L/R audio). If I put these two cables together using couplers from rat shack, I can make a cable long enough for my component video run. I would use the video cable for Y and the audio interconnect for Pb/Pr. Is this a good idea? I know it works because I have it hooked up right now, but I'd like to know if this will affect the quality of the signal. Right now I am running my interlaced DVD player through them, but I do plan on upgrading to progressive scan soon and may even run a 1080i/720p signal through it.

Thanks!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The high-frequency video signals want a 75 ohm cable to avoid reflections in the cable.

That audio cable COULD be made with 75 ohm coax - many audio cables are. What effect that barrel connector could have is ... unknown.

My advice would be to hit ebay/wickedcables/catcables .com sites and get a HD capable, unbroken cable.

Jon Krangel

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Bob. That was what I thought, but I was just trying to see if I could cut a corner here an save a few bucks! It seems damn near impossible to be cheap and have HT as a hobby at the same time........ :)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I often push Home Depot speaker wire, AR/Radio Shack interconnects, build-your-own subwoofer cable, etc. While I do believe more expensive/exotic wires DO have an effect, it's a small improvement for lots of $$$.

But the video cable - this is the last place to scrimp/kludge. (Whats more sensitive - your ears or eyes?)

So as soon as your equipment becomes "sensitive", I recommend good video cables.

By "sensitive" I mean any one of:

- Long cable runs > 10 feet

- Display size pushing 40-50 inches

- Running HD/Progressive signals

- Using a HD Ready display that takes the signal and de-interlaces it.

I found a cable on eBay made with Canare plugs and coax, 2 meter (13 feet) for about $90. Hit ebay and search for "Canare". Many people put Canare plugs on Belden coax and this is fine.

Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks