Can I use an older receiver to power the 6th ans 7th channel for a HK 520?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by sean_k, Dec 13, 2002.

1. sean_k

sean_k Auditioning

I am sorry if this is a completley stupid question ?:| I chked the search and found nothing.
    But I am getting a 520 and was wondering if i could use my old receiver to power the 6th and 7th channels? As u can tell i am a noob with certain parts of HT... so go easy on em [​IMG]
    If this is not possible, which i kinda assume, what amp sould i be looking into for this? not looking to spend an arm and a leg [​IMG]
    ty

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Sound City usually has super deals on multi-channel HK amps. I look from time to time, a couple years ago they were blowing out PA5800s (5x80) at 229 ea. I bought 5 for under $200 each (14-1500 retail) sold 4 to friends at what I paid, pass on the deal and I kept one that lightening got one morning. Insurance replaced it with the Rotel RB985THX Mk2 (1000).
    BTW I have found super deals in the classified section of the newspaper.
    FWIWD (for what its worth dept) LOL IMO no IMHO

3. Ted Drain

Ted Drain Agent

Yes you can and it's very easy to do. I bought a 520 in Oct. and am using my old Yamaha receiver to power the 2 extra rear channels. Use 2 RCA cables to connect the rear surround jacks to an input on the old receiver (I used the CD input).

HK Old Rcvr.
    ------------------
    SBR -> CD in (R)
    SBL -> CD in (L)

Then configure the HK to use 7 channel sound with the on-screen menus. Use the 520's feedback setup system (with the mic in the remote) to help you set the level for the two rear speakers. I had to play a little with the gain on the old receiver to get the rear levels to match but it was pretty easy.

4. Lam Nguyen

Lam Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

Try ubid.com for an amp, they usually have HK amps for a very good price.
    Good Luck.

5. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

[​IMG] So I could put my old recievers back to work.As of now I'm putting tpogether quite a nice little system in the spare bedroom out old stuff.

6. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

If you have premain in's on your old rcvr and premain out on your new one then that is another config you can use. I put mine in the master bedroom for my wife to play with.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]