Can I use an old sub box?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Matt^Brown, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown Supporting Actor

I have seen several powered sub cabinets on ebay that seem to go for a pretty cheap price. I was wondering what everyones feeling where on using one of these old boxes to build a powered sub. I think it would be a lot of fun to build a sub but my carpentry skills are really bad. This seemed like it may be an easy out for me. However I would most likely not be putting back the speaker that came out of it.

*Mods*- I'm not sure if this question is so basic that it even belongs here.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    No reason not to. All you would need to do is pick a driver comparable to the amp’s power output and designed for a box that size. The port (if any) would also have to be considered in the driver choice. You could get suggestions for all that at our DIY and Advanced Projects Forum.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown Supporting Actor

Thanks for the reply Wayne. I have my eye on one right now so if I win it I will be over to see you guys on the other forum.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Matt, please e-mail me or send me an IM. I’d be interested in some of those, too (not the one you’re bidding on, of course [​IMG] ). I’m interested in making a DIY sub for my computer and like you woodworking is not my strong point. Oh sure, I could build a box; it’s making it look pretty I’d have problems with. [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

Matt, first thing I would do is select the driver you intend to use first. Then using a program like WinISD Pro, you'll be able to see if a particular box will be appropriate.