Can I use an old amp off a Kenwood subwoofer for a DIY project?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DustinF, May 31, 2003.

1. DustinF

DustinF Agent

I've got an old Kenwood 8" subwoofer with a 100w amp on the back.

I would like to build a sealed Shiva or Tempest and was wondering if it's ok to use this until I can afford a better amp.

It has one input on the back with an adjustable crossover that can be turned on and off.

Thanks.

2. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Dustin,

I've got the same (or similar) 8" Kenwood Sub (In its box in my basement, that is. I'm now running a 290L Tempest tuned at 17.5Hz and I love it). I wouldn't recommend using it as a plate amp with a Shiva or Tempest. Most commercial powered subs in small boxes have boosts built in to make up for what the driver/box can't do. Neither a Shiva nor a Tempest in the right application need any such boost.

If you decide to try the Kenwood plate amp, try to build your box with some contingency plans in mind. Like, don't mount the amp on the box you plan to build. Make the sub passive and wire it to the outboard amp and see what kind of performance you get. If you're happy, build a separateplate amp box for the Kenwood amp. Otherwise keep an eye out for a good deal on a real plate amp or even an old Pro Logic receiver (which is what I use to power my Tempest).

JKS

3. DustinF

DustinF Agent

Thank you. I guess I'll just save and get a better amp.