What's new

Can I use an in-wall satellite speaker as a center speaker? (1 Viewer)

Alexander-G

Agent
As I mentioned, in a previous post, contractor is installing a basement home theater for a relative and wants to use Russound Advantage HiFi in-wall and in-ceiling speakers. Not many people use them but I they are supposed to be pretty good and I've decided to go along with that choice. But now, here's the rub:

Although the Russound website advertises these speakers for surround sound home-theater use, they don't offer a dedicated center speaker and they don't include a specific recommendation for what what to do about that. The contractor says he just wants to take another satellite and use that as the center because it's all the same thing. However, every center speaker I know of has two woofers rather than one.

Do you think using just one satellite as the center speaker will work? Could I use two of them as the center channel (like people who have plasmas and use the native L/R speakers as the center?)

Here are the specs for the speaker (although there is also an 8" version):

Specifications

Type: 2-way rectangular in-wall speaker

Woofer: 6.5” (16.5 cm) woven glass-
fiber cone with rubber surround

Tweeter: 20 mm silk dome with
neodymium magnet

Frequency response: 50 Hz–20 kHz
±3 dB

Impedance: 8 ohms

Efficiency: 89 dB (1 watt @ 1 m, 1 kHz)

Recommended power: Up to 100 watts

Special features:
Pivoting tweeter
3 dB high-frequency boost switch
Knockout in baffle for IR receiver

Grille: Perforated aluminum

Frame dimensions: 8.25” W x 12.25” H
(21.0 x 31.1 cm)

Cutout dimensions: 6.75” W x 10.75” H
(17.1 x 27.3 cm)

Minimum mounting depth: 3.625”
(9.2 cm)

Rough-in bracket: SB-6IM (not included)

Thanks!

Yong Chan

Stunt Coordinator
You can use any speaker as the center. Most people will tell you that timbre matching is very important for multichannel HT. If you use the same speaker, then you've got that settled. Some people do this out of preference and not out of necessity. Most center channels do have dual midrange drivers because the center channel is the most utilized speaker in HT. As for how your system will work, I guess it depends on the quality of these speakers.

Good luck
yc

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I agree. Nothing wrong with that. Are the same speakers used as L and R speakers? If they are going to use another type as mains (L/R), they may want to consider those for the center, for an even better timbre-matching.

BTW, the design of center speakers is often also influenced by the fact that they are put in a horizontal position (and thus it looks neat for them to be symmetrical when viewed in that position).

The center generally receives more Watts than the surrounds, but not really more than the other mains.

Cees

Alexander-G

Agent
Great! I would definitely use the same kind of speaker rather than a different company.

Just to be clear though - if I use only one such speaker I will have one midrange driver rather than dual midrange drivers. Obviously I am not asking you to comment on these specific speakers if you don't know them, but generally you do not think that is a problem?

The other option as originally stated would be to use two of the same speaker and use them both for the center so that I have two midrange drivers.

Thanks!

Yong Chan

Stunt Coordinator
I would only use one. If you have a nice receiver, you can calibrate accordingly. Or if you have a receiver that self calibrates-even better.

yc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks