Can I use an A/B type switch to connect a VCR and DVD player to a TV with 1 input?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Mansure, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

I would like to connect a DVD player and VCR to an older 25" Zenith TV which only has one input so my kids can watch VCR tapes and DVDs on the upstairs TV.

Would I be able to use a certain type of A/V selector to switch between using the VCR and DVD player seperately?

Do I have to purchase an expensive A/V selector or will a simple A/B box do?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Brian

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Shouln't be problem.

I'm assuming you've got an RCA type input ... correct?

Brent L

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Agreed. You may also want to try and run the dvd player through the vcr to the tv. So: dvd > vcr > tv. Easy enough? You may need to buy a Y adapter if the vcr only has a mono in.

4. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Thanks for the speedy replies fellas.

Actually if my memory serves me, the TV only has a single input that normally is connected to the cable wire so I'm assuming that's a single coax connection.

I'll have to take a look once I get home.

Bryan,

I thought a DVD player could not be connected through a VCR due to Macrovision.

Am I misunderstanding?

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If the TV has no yellow video in jack, just the antenna in jack, you will have to do it this way:
    DVD player video out to RF modulator to one input of an A/B antenna coax switcher,
    Antenna to second input of the switcher.
    Connect common output of the switcher to the VCR antenna in.
    Connect VCR to the TV.
    The RF modulator is the USD $30. model from Radio Shack. You won't have macrovision problems using the RF modulator.
    Other video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

6. Tom Lowden

Tom Lowden Agent

I second the above post. I just helped a friend out with this, and she got an RF modulator at Best Buy for $30. It had a coax input, RCA left, right & video inputs, and a coax output. It did come with a power supply, so make sure you have an extra outlet available.