What's new

Can I use a lame receiver w/ a Polk SurroundBar? (1 Viewer)

Chris88

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I'm pretty much a home theater novice - came here hoping for some good advice.

My wife bought me a Polk SurroundBar for my birthday to go w/ our new TV. It will replace a Sony 5.1 all-in-one system I had from 5 or 6 years back.

My question is whether or not I should be investing in a new receiver, and if so, which to look at?

I'm not an audiophile, but now I have a nice HDTV and some decent speakers I'd like to take advantage of. I'll primarily use it to watch TV and movies, w/ occasional video games (XBox 360, no HDMI).

What is the real harm in using my current (lame) Sony reciever (no HDMI inputs)?

If I do upgrade receivers, should I be looking for 'real' HDMI ports (not just pass throughs?), and with the SurroundBar system, is there any point to a 7.1 system? (I like the SurroundBar b/c we have hard-wood floors - don't want to drill through). I'm really hoping not to spend tons of cash on this project.

Thanks very much in advance...
Chris

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In my opinion, the soundbar is not decent. It was designed by people even more evil than the Bose marketing department. At least they give you 5 "cute" little speakers that sacrifice function for a small form factor.

Just because you have a hardwood floor doesn't mean you need to drill into it. There are many different methods for running wires but that depends on the construction of your house. A little more info and we can get you started. It's a great hobby and we can take you as far as your budget allows.

-Robert

Coltonis

Auditioning
Real Name
Colton
I would agree that the sound bar is a bit of a downgrade, No matter what sort of phase shifts they claim to use i have never heard one that can replicate the effects of a speaker placed behind you. Period.

The technology to perform such a feat is only very recently been developed and is not used commercially at all (that I know of). Ive seen some defense company has this panel that shoots a "laser beam" of sound thus it sounds like the noise is coming from wherever the "beam" is pointed. (I wish I could remember more details, as it was really cool.)

Anyways most of these sound bars are little more than glorified center channels that attempt to bounce the sound off of your walls with standard speakers that are angled. I'm not to saying they are bad speakers as it would probably make an awesome center chanel but they rarely accomplish the "surround" effect that they claim.

My guess would be that most of the others on this forum are going to have a similar opinion.

If you are gonna keep the sound bar i would just use the equipment you have and save some money.

Coltonis

Auditioning
Real Name
Colton
I would agree that the sound bar is a bit of a downgrade, No matter what sort of phase shifts they claim to use i have never heard one that can replicate the effects of a speaker placed behind you.

My guess would be that most of the others on this forum are going to have a similar opinion.

If you are gonna keep the sound bar i would just use what you have and save some money

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks