Can I use 12G speaker cable as line-level connection?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Philip Hamm, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Hey would there be any trouble using 12G speaker cable as a line level connection? I'm having in-wall wire installed in my house and I'm thinking I may get a passive SVS to go with my Crown DC300A amp in lieu of in-wall subs (the original plan). Could I run line-level through the in-wall speaker cable if I eventually upgraded to a non-powered sub?

Disclaimor: I'm not a cable "believer" I just was wondering if the electrical properties would be compatible with a line-level signal.

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

You should run some RG6 (regular cable TV stuff from Radio Shack or other supplier) instead. There are F-type to RCA adapters available for the ends.

Line Level sub out should definately be shielded. There is double shielded stuff available for long runs.

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

phillip,

I agree that "regular" RG-6 is the most utilitarian and electrically correct -- and most readily available -- cable for an in-wall subwoofer link.

So long as runs dont parallel 120VAC wiring less than 12inches or cross several times, it's prob overkill to use QuadShield, tho the xtra cost is minimal. Just try to avoid buying CATV cable that is copper-plated-over-steel core center conductor for least signal transmission concern.

If you go this route, it will be neceassary to find someone (or DIY) to attach F-connectors on each end so that simple F-to-RCA adapters can be screwed in place.

bill

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I think I will probably not even run that cable after all. [​IMG]

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Perhaps an RG8, like this might cover more bases Phil. The impedance of the sub cable is irrelevant and you've got 2 runs of wire so you can
    1) run it as speaker wire (the gauge is not a problem
    2) modify matter if in the future you want to run a powered sub.

FWIW, RG8 has been used as speaker wire for situations where people have planar speakers with a high frequency, low impedance dip and want to keep the inductance on the low side. I know the link is for longish lengths but you could find something like a 100' roll if that works for you.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm not even running to that corner of the room.

Between the first time I looked at the room with the wiring contractor and now I've changed speaker and other locations at least 3 times. [​IMG]