Can I upgrade my subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by chris west, Jun 21, 2005.

1. chris west

chris west Auditioning

Please excuse my ultimate noobiness!

I have a HTiB set-up, Sony DAV-BC150. Now I am no audio fanatic but do enjoy some quality sound. Unfortunately, the subwoofer supplied with this system is almost unheard. I swear, sometimes I don't think it's even working! I would like to upgrade my subwoofer to Dayton's 100w sub (seems like a damn good deal at $125). My problem is that the current sub has a "clip" style plug into the receiver (similar to a phone-line plug). I noticed that a true subwoofer cable has a different connector. Does this mean I cannot use a different sub?

Can someone PM me so I can give someone the link to the back of my receiver. I cannot post it until I have 15 posts, ugh.

Thank you for your patience!
    Chris

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If it has any kind of analog audio outputs (RCA) you should be able to use another sub.

If not, and all the other speakers only have a similar type of proprietary connection (plugs rather than spring clips), you probably will not be able to use a different sub without splicing into the wires, which I would not recommend.

E-mail me the link.

3. chris west

chris west Auditioning

Email send, Thank you!

Chris

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  5. BillyHC

BillyHC Agent

what about the cable itself. what does the other end (the end that connects to the sub) look like?

worse case, it's just speaker wire with a fancy connector on one end... you cut the sub-end of the cable and feed it into the left-speaker input of your new sub.

6. chris west

chris west Auditioning

No dice... the wire goes directly into the sub. In fact, I have no idea what the sub-sided input looks like since the wire goes straight through the back panel.

On a positive note, I adjusted my speaker levels around and my sub is noticably louder now. This system will be fine for now while i'm at an apartment. When time comes to move into a house i'll move up in the stereo dept.

Chris