Can I upgrade my Sony towers or Bostons?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jesse Sharrow, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I am just starting to get into DIY. Well I havnt done anything yet but you get the point. I was wondering. I have a pair of sony towers. 6 1/2", 4", and tweet in a very resonant, ported tower enclosure. They sound like crap. But they are just surrounds for now. Now is there anything I can do to make them better? Brace the enclosure? Sound deadening material? What about upgrade the drivers? If I can do something to help I would be willing to look into it. What about just using a better crossover?

Well Ill shut up. Thanks for the help.

2. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

There is probably not much you can do to the Sonys. A better crossover would help, but there is an insane amount of development that has to go into a crossover. In addition, bracing that you would add would lessen the internal volume of air in the speaker cabinet and the bass wouldn't extend as deep (not that it does already, probably). I would say start saving spare change for a new and better set of speakers. Or, if you're a woodworker, save up and build one of the many project speakers that are out there on the web.

3. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Ok thats kinda what I thought. Now could I build a center channel to match my Boston VR-950's?