What's new

Can I turn off display of Local Date & Time? (1 Viewer)

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
I've poked thru the User Control Panel but see nothing that would enable me to turn off the annoying Local Date and Time that shows up under the user's forum name in each and every post. I couldn't care less about the local date and time for each user/post and rather not have it clutter up the screen. It makes one line posts take up nearly 4" of space on a 19" monitor in 1024x768 mode. I'd love to see an option to turn off the display of this clutter like you can turn off the display of user signatures.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ellen,
Not a real answer yet, but a remark.
It may be slightly less usefull inside the US-continent, but it certainly may help you realizing the point of the day someone you're discussing with is in.
When you read this post, you might see that I am possibly sleeping, as I think you may be while I'm typing this (or perhaps you just awoke and are having breakfast :) ).
Cees

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ellen:

For you anything. You know I have already done lots in the past to get rid of what you find annoying around here. So when I get that $5,000 a week you promised the last time I will be sure to add this feature.

Parker

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Cees makes a good point. It is interesting and possibly useful to see what time it is where someone else is posting from. When first implemented, Parker had this information all in bold, which was a bit much for me. I like the toned down appearance now. Just my $0.02.
By the way, I suppose one could say that a slight degree of anonymity is lost by having the local time posted. I do not include my location in my profile, but now everyone can gather that I am in the eastern US. :crazy:
EDIT: I guess if I were really paranoid, I could change the time zone setting in my profile and throw everyone off. ;)

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
Parker, didn't you get my check? I mailed it ages ago ;) Darn USPS!
Yes, I can see where it may be useful for some ppl. And that's why I asked to make the display optional. That way, those who care can see it; those who don't wouldn't have to.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mmm. I'm not sleeping yet. Won't take long now :).
But why do you want this specific feature to be optional? Just because it's new? There's so much more (that cannot be turned off) that someone might not be interested in.
It almost looks like you hate this particular one with a passion! I'd say: ignore it (if you wish). :)
Cees

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
The reason I'd like to see it turned off is because it wastes space. It adds a good inch to the minimum amount of space that a post takes up. For something that seems to me like nothing more than a gee-wiz feature. There are others I'd like turned off too but they are ones that I don't think you guys ever would turn off. If it is impossible to turn it off, fine. If it is possible but you guys won't make it turn off at the user's option, also fine. Not much I can do about it. But I saw something I didn't like and asked if it could be changed. I thought that was what the feedback forum was for. Am I mistaken?

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
EDIT: I guess if I were really paranoid, I could change the time zone setting in my profile and throw everyone off.
I'm in Darwin at +9.5GMT. The time is 8:30 pm.
:D
On a side note, the signature field seems to have become mandatory. When using Omniweb or Mozilla and the space is displayed whether or not there is a signature.

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
My pal Parker added an option to the user control panel to make the Local Date & Time display optional. Seems to work great. Thanks a bunch Parker!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
DM,

The staff are at their regular decadent Wednesday afternoon pig roast, so I'm gonna see if I can help with this one.

Just above your post count are 4 icons. The 4th one is EDIT OPTIONS. Click on that and scroll down to Date & Time Options.

You're now at the default setting, GMT. You want to be set at Central Time.

Jim

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Dave,
Just above your post count are 4 icons. The 4th ... hey wait a minute.
OK, thanks Jim! :).
Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks