Can I trade in my round dish for an oval one ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EddieN, Mar 20, 2001.

1. EddieN

EddieN Agent

I figured this thread was more appropriate than the buy and sell thread, but anyways. I just aquired an RCA plus receiever with an oval dish, I want to be able to receive locals, that way I can do away with my cable. My understanding is I need the dual-LNB oval dish to pickup locals and the other DTV broadcasting. Does anybody know if dealers do trades of some sort ? or perhaps how much an oval dish with dual-LNB would cost ?
    Other questions I had (newbie to this stuff) can I just take the LNB i have now get another LNB and an oval dish and mount it to the existing hardware ? is the hardware to mount the round dish totally different than the oval ? How does the dual-LNB plug into the back of the RCA plus box ? I only saw one input for satellite, is there some multi-switch I need ?
    Lots o Questions, Thanks in advance,
    ------------------
    - Eddie

2. Tim Brewers

Tim Brewers Agent

I will try to help out as much as I can. Yes and no to almost all your questions. :) I believe an oval dish will fit right on the bracket for a round dish, Yes you need a switch on the cable before it hits the receiver to combine the signals. A plus receiver can seperate the signals from the same cable. You can just add another round dish and point it at the satelite you need for the locals and then use the switch to combine the two signals, but this might look bad. I don't think you will be able to "trade" in your old round dish but, you can buy an oval one seperately. They are usually pretty expensive from a dealer, at least $150. Plus you will have to buy the multi-switch seperately. Check out this site, they seem to be about the cheapest I could find for an oval dish. http://www.18inch.com/

3. Rob Roth

Rob Roth Stunt Coordinator

Tim,
    if I umderstand you correctly, although I have a 24" dual LNB dish (for picking up local as well as standard programming) I still need a special type of receiver to break out the local and standard signals appropriately?
    This is bad news: My system goes in next week and I did what I thought was the rational thing given the whacky pricing; I bought two advanced mitsubishi receivers in system configuration and a separate 24" dish. Perhaps I was being too clever for my own good. How does one know whether a receiver is a 'plus'?

4. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Eddie,
    I thought the oval dish comes with a dual LNB, but if it does not, you can simply replace the single LNB with a dual LNB. This is very simple; the LNB just slides out and is held in by like 1 bolt...as best as I can remember. There is no need to replace the dish. However, make sure you don't already have a dual LNB before replacing it, I thought the oval dish always comes with a dual LNB.
    Eddie & Rob,
    The RCA Plus receivers say Plus right underneath the DirecTV logo on the front left corner of the receiver. RCA Plus models include the 420, 440, 480, and 490. Rob, which model is the Mistubishi?
    -Dan

5. Rob Roth

Dan,
    The mitsu model is srsd-100. It has digital coax and optical outs which is what I was looking for, but isn't an HD receiver. The good news is that Directv Plus is prominently displayed. Apologies for not examining my purchases more closely, and thanks much for the info.
    rob

6. Frederick_Falk

Frederick_Falk Second Unit

Eddie,
    In your question you state that the receiver you bought has an oval dish. But the rest of your post makes it sound like you have a round dish. Also, is the LNB on your dish a Dual or Single LNB?
    A round dish can have one LNB that is either a single out or a dual out. In other words, if it has a single out, you can only hook one receiver to it (unless you use a multiplex switch, which I won't go into now) or a dual out which means you can have two receivers hooked to the two cables coming from the one LNB.
    The oval dishes come with at least two LNB's that point at two different satellites, hence the oval dish (my oval dish also has a place for a third LNB). The LNB's on the oval dish can be either single or dual outputs. Both my round and my oval dishes have 2 outputs for each LNB. On my oval dish that means I have four output wires going into a multi-switch box that is mounted on the back of my dish and the switch box combines the two satellite inputs and sends this information out on two separate lines. Each output line has exactly the same information on each. One line goes to the main DSS receiver in the Living Room and the other line goes to a second receiver in my daughter's bedroom.
    I also live in Austin and would be happy to have you over so you can look at how I have mine set up. You can email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

7. Rob Roth

Any difference in dish quality? My two mitsubishi round 18" are metal, but the Sony oval 24" is some plastic stuff. Is the performance the same?
    Also, anything I should be careful about before the guy comes and installs? Any shortcuts I should be looking out for? Anything you guys wish had been done at the time of your install?
    Might as well do it right the first time, thanks.
    rob