What's new

Can I take my LCD tv I bought in USA with me to Hong Kong? (1 Viewer)

Brian Price

Stunt Coordinator
Hopefully this is the right forum for this question. My wife and I are moving to Hong Kong for two years. We will be staying in a furnished apartment that already has a 42" Hitachi LCD in the living room. I was hoping to take my 23" Samsung LCD tv with me...what I'm hoping to do is be able to play my US PS3 while in Hong Kong and I believe it won't work unless I have a US tv? At least that's my understanding. I know I can't hook it up to watch tv due to the different TV standard over there but I just want to watch dvd's and play games on the LCD. I'm assuming I can use a voltage convertor so my US LCD will work in HK. If this works it will also allow me to watch US dvd's on this tv via my PS3 as well. Can someone give me feedback on whether this is a viable option or not? I.E. taking a US LCD over to HK? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Like most, I don't know the answer. But the TV probably supports both 50hz and 60hz AC, so theoretically you'd just need to convert the 220v to 120v. I'll have to let someone else comment on real-world use of a voltage converter with a television.

Brian Price

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply Scott. Perhaps a better question on my part would be can I just take my PS3 over to Hong Kong and hook it up to an LCD I would buy in Hong Kong?

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Your PS3 would rock in Hong Kong as much as it does in the US. :) You will just need to make sure the PS3 can take an input voltage of 220 which I doubt. But no worries since a simple 220 to 110 voltage convertor will do the trick, which should be easily obtainable in Hong Kong. You could also order a voltage converter online in the US itself. The 50Hz and 60Hz should not be an issue at all. Since your PS3 is a US model it probably only outputs in the NTSC TV standard, but that too should be a non issue in Hong Kong, since almost all televisions sold in Asia and Europe are multisystem and thus capable of playing NTSC also. I am sure the 42" Hitachi LCD in the living room should have no problems in playing back signals from your PS3, be it for gaimng or for watching movies on Blu-Ray discs.

If you are planning on taking your 23" Samsung LCD tv to Hong Kong only for your PS3, I suggest you don't do so. Since almost all televisions sold in the US are only capable of showing NTSC signals it won't work with the local television broadcasting which is in PAL, therefore the Samsung would serve no purpose in Hong Kong.

Users who are viewing this thread