Can I switch the speaker in my subwoofer enclosure.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveSpoon, Jun 19, 2002.

1. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

I asked this question a while back, but didn't get any response, so hope somebody can help me this time.

Bought a Jensen JS-1000A 12 inch subwoofer at ABC Warehouse a few months back for 84 bucks. Am already ready to move on and have my heart set on purchasing an Adire Shiva driver and build a cabinet for it. Do to my never ending "honey do" list, the subwoofer project is on the back burner.

However, would it be possible to simply drop the driver out of the cabinet and "slip in" the Shiva? What problems would I run into if I did this? Do you think the cheapo 100 watt amp would hurt the Shiva (too much distortion being sent to the driver)?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Steve

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Sorry you didn’t get a response before, Steve. I would have been happy to, but I guess I missed it somehow.

If you can access the driver in your Jensen, it will be no problem to change it – probably only four screws.

How well it works depends on how large the Jensen’s enclosure is. The Shiva needs at least 2 cubic ft. to give decent performance. Three would be even better. So if your Jensen’s box is smaller than that, while there may be audible improvements, don’t expect miracles.

Don’t worry about the amp damaging the Shiva. Wouldn’t be likely. Whether or not this is enough power will depend on how large your room is and how loud you like to play the system.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. SteveSpoon

I'm just looking for a stop-gap measure until I get my cabinet built. Would hope to get at least a little better sound for now with the Shiva. The OEM sub in the Jensen is pretty light duty......doesn't weigh very much, small magnet. Guess that makes somewhat of a difference. Just was wondering if there was something I was overlooking.

For 84 bucks, it's a pretty good buy. But it is definetly time to move on!!! And certainly doesn't give "BlackHawk Down" justice.

Steve

4. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

How about a Dayton 12" DVC?

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    A 12" DVC from PE in a 1.2ft^3 sealed enclosure sounds really good. I copied this plan. If the Jensen is a ported enclosure, just plug up the port.
    -Robert

6. SteveSpoon

Is the Dayton that much better than the Shiva? They are about the same price....I believe the Shiva is 125 dollars delivered, while the Dayton (according to the catalog) is 119 (don't know who pays for the shipping). Or, does PartsExpress on occassion throw the Dayton on sale?

PartsExpress does have an amp on sale, a 250 watt plate amp for 119 bucks....that looks like an early birthday present coming up!!! Any comments on the amp appreciated.

Thanks alot.

Steve

7. SteveSpoon

And thanks for the plans, Robert. I'm going to look real hard at this setup. Thanks again.

Steve

8. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Forgot to mention, Steve, sometimes the amps in an all-in-one sub will have some built-in equalization. May or may not be a good thing if you change the driver.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

10. SteveSpoon

Hey Wayne:

I believe the only equalization taking place in these lower Jensen amps is distortion!! It does do a pretty good job of making noise, but like I said earlier, ready to step up to some "quality" subwoofin'!!!!

Steve

11. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

You can get the 12" DVC from Acoustic Visions for $105.99 go here